Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Sabrina Wee

Cheryl Tay
·3-min read
Sabrina Wee is the founder of GOYA The Label office apparel line.
Sabrina Wee is the founder of GOYA The Label office apparel line. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Life goes beyond the digits on the scale and your body is capable of so much more. Yahoo’s #Fitspo of the Week series is dedicated to inspirational men and women in Singapore leading healthy and active lifestyles. Have someone to recommend? Hit Cheryl up on Instagram or Facebook.

Name: Sabrina Wee (@sabsiez)

Age: 32

Height: 1.65m

Weight: 54kg

Occupation: Founder of GOYA The Label

Status: Attached

Diet: I follow the 80/20 rule: eating good nutritious food – lean meats, fibrous vegetables and complex carbs, and lots of water – 80 per cent of the time; and less healthy foods for the remaining 20 per cent.

Training: Currently I’m doing strength training two to three times a week, with yoga or HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout once or twice a week.

Sabrina took part in the FSS bikini competition two years ago.
Sabrina took part in the FSS bikini competition two years ago. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Q: Were you a sporty kid?

A: It's ironic but I was really bad at sports so I avoided all things athletic during my schooling days. I got into strength training only in my mid-20s, and fell so in love with it that I decided to take part in my first bikini competition!

What made you decide to take part in a bikini competition?

I took part in FSS Asia in the bikini category two years back. I thought it would be fun to challenge myself as I have been strength training for a few years already.

What were some of the highlights and challenges of taking part in these competitions?

Some highlights of the journey include learning more about my body through the recomposition that happened during the diet and workouts. The biggest challenge was balancing a social life, as eating is a big part of socialising with friends.

Sabrina feels that tougher parts of the bikini competition was learning the posing routines and overcoming her stage fright.
Sabrina feels that tougher parts of the bikini competition was learning the posing routines and overcoming her stage fright. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

To be honest, the heavy training and disciplined diets felt much easier than the display part of being in the physique competition. Learning the posing routines and overcoming my stage fright were part of the challenge, as it all felt very unnatural to me.

Would you take part in these again?

I would love to join again when time permits.

What made you decide to leave your corporate job and start your own office apparel line – GOYA The Label?

Having to balance my job and my love for fitness was a big part of starting GOYA. At that point in time I wished that I could have the comfort of gym wear while in the office.

GOYA was designed with the modern active woman in mind – by introducing the technical comfort of activewear fabrics into styles that exudes confidence. This way, ladies can still look stylish for work yet remain comfortable in activewear fabric.

Sabrina's GOYA The Label company introduces the technical comfort of activewear fabrics into office wear.
Sabrina's GOYA The Label company introduces the technical comfort of activewear fabrics into office wear. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Was there ever a time where you felt the least confident about yourself?

I did not always feel confident about my body when I was younger, but this gradually changed as I started strength training, grew stronger and more comfortable in my own body.

Are you satisfied with your body now?

I love my body and I deeply appreciative on how it allows me to move from place to place to do the things I love, for the people I love.

Have you ever received any comments about your body?

I've always received comments on my body since I was young girl – too skinny, too fat, and recently – too strong-looking. So, I learn not to take these comments too seriously since my body will always be changing, and people will always be commenting.

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Sabrina Wee.
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Sabrina Wee. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)