Broadband network service down in Yishun for almost 6 hours after fibre cut

(PHOTOS: Reuters, Facebook)

SINGAPORE — A fibre cut on Friday evening (14 June) has caused broadband service users in parts of Yishun to experience connection issues for almost six hours.

Fibre network operator NetLink Trust said the disruption began around 5pm and services were restored at 10.45pm.

Three internet service providers – Singtel, M1, and StarHub – have confirmed that their subscribers were affected by a NetLink Trust fibre cut on their respective Facebook pages.

Singtel, which was the first to post about the incident at 5.56pm, said that the fibre cut meant that customers “in the vicinity of Yishun Road” may also face difficulties in accessing Singtel TV and digital home line services.

It later updated at 8.18pm that restoration works were underway and completion was estimated to be later this evening, according to NetLink Trust.

M1 wrote at 7.28pm that NetLink Trust was currently working on restoring the affected connections in “some areas of Yishun”.

In a similar notice posted at 6.46pm, StarHub wrote that NetLink Trust had informed them that it was investigating the outage affecting “some customers in Yishun”.

In addition to Singtel, M1 and StarHub, NetLink Trust also provides fibre connection services to internet service providers MyRepublic, SuperInternet, and ViewQwest. The latter three have yet to put up notices on their Facebook pages about the fibre cut.

On 22 May, M1 customers in the northern and eastern parts of Singapore experienced fibre outage over two consecutive days.

In November last year, about 10,000 broadband users in eastern Singapore were affected by a disruption which lasted more than 30 hours and was caused by the severing of some fibre cables in the network.

The November disruption was caused by a third-party contractor who severed a number of fibre cables while performing construction works.

Related stories:

M1 fibre outage affects users in northern, eastern parts of Singapore over 2 days

Fibre broadband outage in eastern Singapore resolved after 30 hours