SMRT CEO Desmond Kuek indicates to staff he has no plans of stepping down soon

SMRT Group CEO Desmond Kuek addresses reporters at a press conference on 16 October 2017. PHOTO: Nicholas Yong/Yahoo News Singapore

Following speculation that he is expected to step down from his position, SMRT CEO Desmond Kuek has sent employees of the train operator an email to assure them that he remains in charge and focused on work.

According to media reports, Kuek sent the email on 19 January, in which he noted that a Straits Times report on his apparent impending resignation has “generated ground concern that must be addressed”.

“I would like to assure you that when I do (step down), one day as we all must for leadership renewal, you will hear about it from me first.  It will not be through some speculative piece in the newspapers,” said Kuek.

“For now, my focus is to work with everyone toward our goals. Let’s stay on track, with everyone on board, so that we can be on top again very soon.”

Earlier on Thursday (25 January) on the sidelines of an SMRT event, Kuek, who has been in his position since 2012, dismissed the reports as “entirely speculative”.

The top management of SMRT has come under fire following a series of high-profile incidents, including a tunnel flood at Bishan station, a train collision at Joo Koon Station and service breakdowns.

Related stories

Most Singaporeans doubt they have been told the truth about MRT issues: survey

Software glitch in signalling led to Joo Koon train collision

Khaw Boon Wan on MRT flooding: ‘If there is poor work culture, the CEO is responsible’

SMRT apologises for North-South Line disruption in October, resolves to do better