SMRT tragedy: Father of one victim was initially part of rescue team

He was part of a rescue team that was supposed to help out if an incident occurred on the track.

At around 11 am on Tuesday, his team was activated to assist in an incident that took place about 150 metres away from Pasir Ris MRT station.

Little did he realise that he was on his way to rescue his own son, Nasrulhudin Najumudin, who had died in the incident.

An SMRT staff, who did not want to be named, told Yahoo News Singapore Nasrulhudin’s father was informed of the incident at Tanah Merah depot. The shocked father was sent home after seeing the body of his son at Pasir Ris. “The father is a nice and jovial man who has been working for SMRT for a long time,” said the staff.

The funeral for Nasrulhudin was held at Block 142 Tampines Street 12 on Wednesday (23 Mar) afternoon.

More than 200 relatives and friends of the 26-year-old SMRT technician were at the void deck of the block on Wednesday.

Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan was seen speaking to members of the family. Minister Yaacob Ibrahim also visited the family. They did not address the media. 

Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan visits the family of Nasrulhudin Najumudin at Tampines. PHOTO: Safhras Khan/Yahoo News Singapore 

He had just turned 24

Meanwhile at D’Heritage Apartments condominium near Chai Chee, about 50 people gathered outside the condominium where Muhammad Asyraf Bin Ahmad Buhari’s funeral would be held.

Deliveryman Aidil Azmi and Muhaimin Mostafa, both 24 were Asyraf’s friends in ITE, and then in Basic Military Training. They had just taken a trip to Johor Bahru together last week. According to them, Asyraf loved motorbikes, and owned a Spark and a RXZ.

Aidil said, “He was a very joyful person and quite playful. He always motivated us to be a better person. He was a good guy who always wanted the best for his friends.”

In their last conversation, Aidil wished Asyraf happy birthday on 20 March. Asyraf had hoped to recommend him to SMRT and told him he would check if there were vacancies.

Another friend who came to pay his respects told Yahoo News Singapore he knew Asyraf through mutual friends. The technician who only wanted to be known as Ibrahim, 31, said, “We never expected this, but cannot say anything. It’s fate already.”

Yahoo News Singapore understands that Asyraf’s parents are returning home from overseas for the funeral.