The Starfresh brand of bottled mineral water imported from Malaysia has been recalled by Singapore authorities after bacteria was detected in the product. It was during a routine sampling that the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) identified the presence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a common environmental bacteria that’s found in faeces, soil, water, and sewage.
SFA explained the bacteria can multiply in water environments and on the surface of suitable organic materials in contact with water. Consumption of contaminated products can result in infections, but it rarely causes serious illness in healthy individuals.
In a press release yesterday, SFA said it directed importer Radha Exports to recall all the implicated 500ml and 1.5l products. Consumers who have purchased Starfresh are “advised not to consume it.” Those who have already drank the water and have concerns about their health should seek medical advice, SFA noted.
Radha Exports told CNA that all the affected bottles, which came from a factory in Malaysia, have since been recalled from the shelves.
This article, Starfresh bottled water from Malaysia recalled after bacteria detected by Singapore authorities, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company. Want more Coconuts? Sign up for our newsletters!