KUALA LUMPUR: Former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak took to Facebook to express gratitude that 'another pre-14th General Election (GE14) slander against the Barisan Nasional (BN) government has been proven to be untrue'.
Najib was referring to the revelation today that there was no such thing as 300,000 stateless Indians in Malaysia.
Speaking in the Dewan Negara today, deputy home minister Datuk Mohd Azis Jamman confirmed that the figures widely peddled by Pakatan Harapan (PH) while campaigning for GE14 were inaccurate.
Mohd Azis said based on records up to May 30 this year, the Home Ministry received 3,853 applications for identification documents.
Out of that, 1,638 cases from the Indian community were resolved and the rest were still being processed, Mohd Azis said in the question and answer session.
"The fact is that 1,638 out of 3,853 cases were resolved during the previous BN government under my leadership," Najib said.
"I always prioritise the need to be just to all Malaysians regardless of race. We have never denied them their rights if they truly deserve to be granted citizenships."
Najib added that eventhough together with MIC leaders, they had explained the actual figures many times, they were still accused of lying by PH leaders from the Indian community who insisted the cases of stateless Indians exceeded 300,000.
"They used this as the main issue to demonstrate and in their talks to make the Indian community angry at the BN government.
"Now, many of these PH leaders who played up this issue have been appointed ministers in the new government.
"With this revelation by their own government on the actual figures, will these PH leaders apologise because they 'miscalculated by two decimal points'?" Najib asked, taking a jibe at Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng who previously apologised for announcing a wrong figure in Parliament, attributing it to misplaced decimal points. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd