Stepsons remanded over Cradle Fund CEO's murder

FAZRIK KAMARUDIN, Nurul Hidayah Bahaudin

PETALING JAYA: The two stepsons of the late Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd (Cradle Fund) chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan have been remanded for a week to facilitate an investigation into his murder.

Selangor police criminal investigation department chief, Senior Assistant Commissioner Fadzil Ahmat, said the remand application for the brothers, aged 17 and 14, were made at the Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court on Sunday morning.

“A seven-day remand order was granted from September 9 to 15 to facilitate the investigation,” he said.

Both teens were arrested at the home of their grandfather, social activist Chandra Muzaffar, in Taman Tun Dr Ismail around 4pm on Saturday.

Police will also be seeking a remand extension for Nazrin’s widow and the boys’ mother, Samirah Muzaffar, 43, on Monday.

Initial reports had stated that the teens, who are still in school, had been picked up by police on Thursday to assist the murder probe. Reports had claimed that a forensic examination on Nazrin, who was initially believed to have died in a fire at the family’s home in Mutiara Damansara, revealed two puncture wounds on his neck, believed to have been caused by arrows.

Reports had also suggested that the boys had an interest in archery.

However, Selangor police chief, Datuk Mazlan Mansor, had denied earlier reports on the arrests. Police only confirmed on Saturday that the boys had been picked up.

On June 14, Nazrin, 45, died of what was initially said to be smoke inhalation in a fire at his house in Mutiara Homes, Petaling Jaya. Just before the incident, he had complained of a migraine and went to bed after taking some medication.

Initial reports suggested that his handphone, which was next to him, had exploded while being charged.

However, following a report by the Fire and Rescue Department, as well as results of the post-mortem examination, the case was later classified as murder.

The department had said they found traces of petrol at the crime scene.

On Sept 4, police detained Samirah as well as her ex-husband (the boys’ father) and obtained a seven-day remand against them.

Three days later, police released Samirah’s ex-husband from custody. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd