Three M'sians held captive in Papua New Guinea return home

Kuala Lumpur (The Star/ANN) - It was a tearful reunion for Remban Mawang and his daughter Rose after he had been held at logging camp in Papua New Guinea for nearly three weeks.

Remban was reunited with his daughter at the Umno Youth community complaints bureau in Solaris Dutamas.

Remban along with fellow Malaysians from the state of Sarawak, Jeri Ebet and his son Richie, were held in isolation for 17 days since April 20 at the camp in Kimbe, Papua New Guinea.

"We were told to stay indoors and there were guards outside armed with parang," Remban said.

"The amenities there were crude and they barely fed us, but we managed to survive off the tapioca and palm fruits we found on the compound.

"We had no idea why we were being held.

As we weren't allowed to work, the company did not send money back to our families either," said Remban.

The three Sarawakians went to Papua New Guinea last December after being offered lucrative jobs in the logging industry there by middlemen in Miri.

The middlemen said they would pay each of the men's families 1,500 ringgit (US$501) a month.

When the payment was not made to Remban's family in April, his daughter Rose suspected something amiss and lodged a report with the police and the complaints bureau on May 4.

"The middlemen had sent Remban and his friends abroad without a work permit, effectively making them illegal immigrants," said bureau chairman Datuk Khairun Aseh.

The bureau contacted the Malaysian High Commission in Papua New Guinea for assistance to locate the men and negotiate their release.

"After discussions between the high commission and the logging company, the three men were sent home via Singapore on May 7," said Khairun.

The high commission was still looking for other six Sarawakians who were reported missing in the country.

However, it faced difficulties locating them as they had no contact and information on their whereabouts.

  • 2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd 53 minutes ago
    2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd

    Nissan says its 2015 Murano crossover, only the second major revamp of the car since it debuted in 2003, draws its design cues from the “age of future space flight.” That’s probably taking it a little far, but the new Murano, based off the 2013 Resonance concept vehicle, is an exceptionally lovely machine, all fluid, curved metal on the outside, and flowing, soft-touch materials on the inside. Certain kinds of comfort and charms that were unheard-of outside of premium vehicles five years ago have definitely trickled down, and reached a kind of design apotheosis with this car.

  • Volkswagen brings new (ish) Jetta to New York along with Golf Sportwagen 3 hours ago
    Volkswagen brings new (ish) Jetta to New York along with Golf Sportwagen

    With its new President and CEO of America, Michael Horn, on stage in New York after just 100 days on the job, Volkswagen debuted its 2015 Jetta. You'd be forgiven for noticing little differences compared to the outgoing model, and in the words of Horn himself, the changes are indeed subtle. The most notable of those subtleties is the all-new 2.0 liter turbo diesel motor, offering 45 mpg highway and a modest increase of 10 hp. For VW, diesel is where it's at.

  • With Vantage GT, Aston Martin races below $100,000 4 hours ago
    With Vantage GT, Aston Martin races below $100,000

    Aston Martin is going downmarket, sort of. The 2015 Vantage GT, a sport-styled variant of Aston’s legendary flagship car, draws style and performance tips from their GT4 race cars, which will be running in North America this year. It’s also priced at $99,900, which shows that the market for these kinds of consumer sports cars has boomed in recent years.