Toll concession compensation estimate based on figures by previous govt: Baru Bian

Nor Ain Mohamed Radhi

KUALA LUMPUR: Works Minister Baru Bian has admitted that the estimated RM400 billion in compensation to toll concessionaires as told in the Dewan Rakyat on Monday was based on figures prepared by the previous government. “The amount was based on Performance Management & Delivery Unit (Pemandu),” he said when met at the Parliament lobby. He did not dismiss the statement made by Tony Pua, who said that the compensation amount may not be more than RM400 billion as wrong. He said the RM400 billion included future gains and take over cost.

“No, I don’t think that the figure is incorrect. “If he (Pua) said so, there must be strong basis. I cannot say that it is wrong,” he said.

Pua earlier today said that the compensation would not amount to more than RM400 billion, as previously announced.


Works Minister Baru Bian speaks to reporters at Parliament. Pic by SADDAM YUSOFF

He had said RM400 billion was the amount stated by previous government; Barisan Nasional (BN), after taking into account the compensation to toll concessionaires which also included future gains. He said the government would have to recalculate the compensation if it intended to fulfil the manifesto to among others, abolish toll as promised in the 14th General Election (GE14). © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd