Beijing, Aug 4 (IANS) Consumption of wild mushrooms in China's Shaanxi province has claimed the lives of least seven people and poisoned more than 50, forcing the country's top food administration to caution people against eating the food.
Restaurants across the nation should avoid purchasing and serving wild mushrooms, and consumers should not pick or eat wild mushrooms due to lack of effective measures to detect their toxicity, the China Daily reported citing the State Food and Drug Administration.
The statement came after a string of food poisoning incidents hit Hanzhong city in Shaanxi province since late July.
From July 19 till Aug 2, a total of 57 residents in Hanzhong have been poisoned after eating mushrooms picked from the mountains.
The only effective measure to avoid food poisoning caused by toxic mushrooms is to avoid eating them, the authorities said.
Officials said the hot and rainy weather in July has provided rich ground for the breeding of wild mushrooms in mountainous and forest areas in the province.
The government has also used local TV and radio broadcasts to create awareness about the harmful effects of eating wild mushrooms.