Trader gets 3 years jail for plotting IS bomb attack in Johor


KUALA LUMPUR: A 33-year-old night market trader was sentenced to three years in jail today for planning a bomb attack at a nightclub outlet in Johor last year.

Jasanizam Rosni, clad in a white shirt and trousers, pleaded guilty when the charge was read before Judge Datuk Azman Abdullah at the High Court here today.

He was charged with being involved in the preparation to commit terrorist act on temples and nightclubs in Johor Baru at a house in Kampung Parit Gantung, Seri Merlong, Rengit, Batu Pahat between June and Aug 9, 2016.

The offence falls under Section 130JD(1) of the Penal Code, which carries maximum of seven years imprisonment and fine, upon conviction.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Muhammad Fazlan Mohd Noor, when prosecuting, asked of a suitable punishment due to the seriousness of the offence.

“Even though his involvement was minimal, the act of planning a bomb attack is serious.

“The court also has to consider the public interest and the sentence must serve as a lesson for the accused and warned others to not take part in terror act,” he said.

However, Jasanizam’s lawyer Muhd Ruzaini Zulkifli pleaded for a lenient sentence, as his client was a sole breadwinner to his family.

“My client's level of participation is minimal. He just received order to retrieve the bomb from Puchong, in Selangor and to recce the possible targets,” he said.

According to the fact of the case, Jasanizam and his friend, Md Saifuddin Muji were ordered by Malaysian Islamic State (IS) leader in Syria, Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi to retrieve a hand grenade from Jonius Ondie @ Jahali in Puchong, Selangor.

They went to meet Imam Wahyudin Karjono and Jonius as instructed by Wanndy and stayed at his house to learn about how to use hand grenade via YouTube.

Jasanizam and Saifuddin then went back with the hand grenade hidden in a car boot and planned to launch an attack at Platinum nightclub in Johor.

However, their plan was cut short when police managed to arrest Saifuddin at his house and showed authorities the location of the hand grenade that he buried under a coconut tree near his village.