BALAKONG: The traffic woes affecting Perkampungan Baru Batu 11, Cheras here will soon be a thing of the past once the road’s upgrading works commence next month.
Pakatan Harapan’s Balakong by-election candidate, Wong Siew Ki, said she was told that the RM8 million upgrading project is expected to be completed within two years.
“This area is known for its major traffic congestion due to the existence of several bottlenecks.
“The developer, who will be conducting the upgrading works, have been informed of the matter and they have agreed to undertake the work.”
Wong, 32, said there are also no land issues as negotiations were completed long ago with the residents.
It is understood that upgrading works would take up a 800-metre stretch along the area.
“There is however, a small issue of some premises built along the affected stretch, and the relevant authorities will look into this soon,” she told reporters after conducting checks at the area on Friday.
Pakatan Harapan’s Balakong by-election candidate, Wong Siew Ki, said she was told that the RM8 million upgrading project is expected to be completed within two years. Pic by NSTP/AIZUDDIN SAAD
She said the project, initiated by late Balakong assemblyman Eddie Ng, was important and needs to be done to make way for better traffic flow in the area.
She also reminded motorists to practice road safety and exercise patience while the road works are being carried out.
Meanwhile, Kajang Municipal Council officer So Lian Kiong, who was also present, said the Public Works Department approved the upgrading work last week.
“The cost will be borne by the developer. This is one of their corporate social responsibility (CSR) projects,” he said.
He said the upgrading works will be carried out at the bottleneck areas and two U-turns.
“The flooding issue here will also be solved once the upgrading works are completed,,” he said. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd