Report Provides Insight into Leading Manufacturer’s Practices and Priorities
Trex Company, Inc. (NYSE:TREX), the world’s No. 1 brand of residential composite decking and railing, leader in high-performance, low-maintenance outdoor living products, and a leading national provider of custom-engineered commercial railing and staging systems, today published its 2019 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report in conjunction with the launch of a new Trex ESG Hub on the Company’s website.
President and Chief Executive Officer Bryan Fairbanks commented, "Our 2019 ESG Report highlights Trex Company’s strong performance across environmental, social, governance and financial metrics. These accomplishments are aligned with the Company’s values and reflect excellent execution on behalf of our leadership team and dedicated workforce.
"Environmental stewardship is embedded in the Trex DNA, and we continually seek ways to strengthen our legacy. Since inception, our decking products have been made with 95%+ recycled material content. Recycled consumer and industrial polyethylene film and reclaimed wood are the primary material sources for Trex decking."
Highlights of the 2019 report include:
- The environmental footprint for Trex decking has improved across all impact categories since the 2016 Lifecycle Analysis. This is particularly noteworthy given the increased production associated with the introduction of the new Trex Enhance® decking product, sourcing more materials to support higher volume, upgrading manufacturing operations, and improving output on legacy product lines.
- The launch of NexTrex™, a groundbreaking polyethylene collection program, has expanded the reach of the Company’s recycling initiatives and increased its base of participating retailers and consumers.
- The Company used more than 850 million pounds of polyethylene film and reclaimed wood fibers in its products in 2019.
- Closed-loop water recirculation systems added to the Company’s manufacturing facilities in Virginia and Nevada recycled approximately 99% of the water used in 2019.
- Safety programs resulted in a 24% reduction in recordable incident rates.
- A 25% increase in retention of hourly workers during a period of very low unemployment rates.
"Looking ahead, our strategic objective to accelerate the conversion from wood decking to sustainable Trex composite decking will result in more plastic being diverted from landfills and allow us to employ more people, which, in turn, will benefit the communities in which we operate," Fairbanks noted.
To learn more about Trex’s ESG policies, initiatives and performance, please read the full 2019 Environmental, Social and Governance Report.
About Trex Company
Trex Company is the world’s largest manufacturer of high performance wood-alternative decking and railing, with more than 25 years of product experience. Stocked in more than 6,700 retail locations worldwide, Trex outdoor living products offer a wide range of style options with fewer ongoing maintenance requirements than wood, as well as an environmentally responsible choice. Also, Trex is a leading national provider of custom-engineered railing and staging systems for the commercial and multi-family market, including performing arts venues and sports stadiums. For more information, visit trex.com.
Dennis C. Schemm
Vice President and CFO
Lynn Morgen/Viktoriia Nakhla