JOHOR BARU: A viral video of a fat rat chilling out at a supermarket in Bandar Utama, Selangor, revolted netizens last month, and led to the grocery section of the supermarket being closed for two weeks.
It looks like a similar fate has befallen a mamak restaurant in Johor Baru after a viral video of a rat scrambling across food trays at the premises was shared on WhatsApp and via social media.
The Johor Baru City Council (MBJB), which acted upon a complaint, has recommended that the restaurant be closed for a fortnight for violating regulations on cleanliness.
A team from MBJB, which visited the eatery at noon yesterday, found that it failed an evaluation for general cleanliness.
MBJB public relations officer, Mohd Firdaus Abdul Hamid, said that poor hygiene was not the only thing MBJB discovered at the eatery.
"We also found that the food handlers had not been vaccinated, and there were no grease traps installed at the premises.
"We are giving the eatery, at Jalan Air Molek here, a Grade D, which means it will be closed for two weeks to clean up their premises," Mohd Firdaus said.