Gal Gadot tried the fast food chain for the first time on live Television.
Gal Gadot tried the fast food chain for the first time on live Television.
The Ministry of Health confirmed 24 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore on Saturday (16 January), taking the country’s total case count to 59,083.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday imposed sanctions on three of his primary targets -- China, Iran and Cuba -- in a last-minute push aimed in part at boxing in President-elect Joe Biden.
Pfizer expects lower coronavirus vaccine deliveries for a stretch beginning in late January in order to lift output later this winter and throughout 2021, the drugmaker said Friday.
German authorities gave permission Friday for work to resume on a subsea pipeline bringing natural gas from Russia that's been the target of U.S. sanctions threats. The decision by the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency can be appealed, meaning there could be another halt to the construction on the Nord Stream 2 project, which has drawn major criticism from the United States, some other European countries and environmental groups. The Kremlin has responded by accusing Washington of trying to promote sales of its own liquefied natural gas.
A British national and two Singaporeans were charged in court on Friday (15 January) for breaching Stay-Home Notice requirements last year.
The Ministry of Health confirmed 30 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore on Friday (15 January), taking the country’s total case count to 59,059.
A human rights lawyer who handled the case of Hong Kong pro-democracy activists detained in China had his licence revoked Friday, he told AFP, a move he said was triggered by the sensitivity of the case for Beijing.
The Trump administration stepped up efforts in its final days to crack down on China with new additions to a military blacklist, new sanctions aimed at pushing back on Beijing’s claims in the South China Sea and the addition of another Chinese corporate behemoth to its exports blacklist.The Defence Department added nine more firms on Thursday to its list of companies that it says have ties with the Chinese military, rounding out the total to 44.The firms include smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi and the state-owned plane maker Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (Comac), central to China’s goal of creating a narrow-body plane that can compete with Boeing and Airbus.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.The Trump administration is unlikely to add more companies to its blacklist, said Keith Krach, undersecretary for economic growth, energy and environment in a briefing with reporters.Krach pointed out that Chinese tech giants Alibaba, Tencent and Baidu are “highly strategic” to the Chinese military. On Wednesday, sources said the Trump administration scrapped plans to blacklist Alibaba, Tencent and Baidu.The Commerce Department on Thursday also added Chinese National Overseas Oil Corporation (CNOOC) to a US economic blacklist, saying it had helped China intimidate neighbours in the South China Sea. The department designated Skyrizon as a Chinese military end-user list for “its capability to develop, produce or maintain military items, such as military aircraft engines”.“China’s reckless and belligerent actions in the South China Sea and its aggressive push to acquire sensitive intellectual property and technology for its militarisation efforts are a threat to US national security and the security of the international community,” Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a statement on Thursday.Also referencing CNOOC, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced visa restrictions on individuals, including “executives of state-owned enterprises and officials of the Chinese Communist Party and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, responsible for, or complicit in, either the large-scale reclamation, construction, or militarisation of disputed outposts” in the South China Sea.The edict, which builds on sanctions announced in August against Chinese companies involved in Beijing’s “militarisation” of outposts in the South China Sea, also targets those involved in “coercion against Southeast Asian claimants to inhibit their access to offshore resources in the South China Sea”, according to the announcement.“The United States and all law-abiding nations share a deep interest in the preservation of a free and open South China Sea,” Pompeo said. “All nations, regardless of military and economic power, should be free to enjoy the rights and freedoms guaranteed to them under international law, as reflected in the 1982 Law of the Sea Convention, without fear of coercion.”A Hague tribunal in 2016 ruled that Beijing’s claims to much of the waters in the South China Sea had no legal basis and violated the 1982 international convention. China possibly committed ‘genocide’ against Xinjiang Uygurs, says US report“The United States stands with Southeast Asian claimant states seeking to defend their sovereign rights and interests, consistent with international law. We will continue to act until we see Beijing cease its coercive behaviour in the South China Sea,” Pompeo said in Thursday’s statement.In August, the Commerce Department added 24 Chinese state-owned firms, including China Communications Construction Company Dredging Group Company (CCCC Dredging) to an “entity list” of companies that US firms are not allowed to transact with unless they have a special licence to do so.Satellite images analysed by defence consultancy IHS Jane’s in 2016 showed that a subsidiary of CCCC Dredging operated most of the giant barges digging sand from the seabed and piling it on remote coral atolls in the South China Sea, including Mischief Reef, Subi Reef and Fiery Cross Reef, which are also claimed by the Philippines and Vietnam.The administration has ratcheted up tension with China as president Trump’s term enters a final week, moving to expand on policies against China to address Washington’s heightened concerns over China’s advancements in tech and military and the threats they may pose on American national security.One narrative is that the administration’s rush to announce these last-minute measures is a way to make unwinding of the policy difficult for the Joe Biden administration.But Biden also has South China Sea and Xinjiang forced labour concerns, issues that were touched upon by these measures, said at least one analyst.“Biden is likely to take enforcement of measures against forced labour even further,” said Andrew Bishop, global head of policy research at advisory firm Signum Global Advisors.“However, Biden will be quite generous with issuing individual licences to exporters who may need to continue working with companies, like CNOOC,” said Bishop.And the forced divestments of companies that Washington says have ties to the Chinese military “could be postponed possibly indefinitely” under Biden, said Bishop. Investors look to Biden as Trump continues ‘sharp break’ from ChinaIn a development of the trading bans on firms that Washington considers military companies, Trump late Wednesday signed a new executive order in an effort to clarify how US investors should divest their holdings in blacklisted Chinese firms after an initial order caused confusion in the markets.The clarifications came after Wall Street struggled to follow the initial executive order signed by Trump on November 12. The president’s initial order, which remains in effect, indicated that new purchases in affected companies would be banned starting January 11.It is unclear whether the new clarification will resolve the wave of questions that financial companies have raised in the past weeks over how to comply with the order.The current blacklist includes Huawei Technologies Co., China Railway Construction Corporation and Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology.The amended order also stressed that the rules apply to any subsidiary of these Chinese companies unless the Treasury Secretary removes a particular subsidiary from the list.The New York Stock Exchange a week ago made two reversals on its plan to delist subsidiaries of three Chinese telecommunications carriers – China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom (Hong Kong) – as it sought for clarity whether subsidiaries of the blacklisted companies were affected.Shares of these three companies gyrated as Wall Street struggled to follow the initial rules that were unclear on whether subsidiaries were included.Causing confusion was a Treasury Department statement on December 28 that narrowed the definition of the affected entities to exclude subsidiaries unless specifically included by the agency, contradicting the language in the initial executive order.More from South China Morning Post: * NYSE to make its second policy reversal in two days to delist Chinese telecoms stocks if US blacklist applies, source says * BlackRock joins global funds in divesting Chinese telecoms stocks as US sanctions kick in * Trump administration bolsters order barring US investment in Chinese firms * US blacklists about 60 more Chinese firms including top chip maker SMIC and drone manufacturer DJIThis article US adds nine Chinese firms, including Xiaomi, to military blacklist first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
Mitch McConnell bridled over Donald Trump's crude governing style but found him a valuable White House ally. Now, the powerful US Senate majority leader controls the outgoing president's political future.
In the final quarter of 2020, the average price of Singapore's HDB Resale flats had increased by the largest amount in 9 years. If you're...
To run from 15 January to 15 April, the public inspection is a requirement under the Land Public Transport Act 2010’s Section 84.
If you’re a Singaporean, statistically, cancer is the most worrying cause of death. And although medical technology has greatly increased our chances of surviving cancer, the impact on our finances can be dire. As we explained in why you should seriously consider getting cancer insurance, […]The post Best Cancer Insurance Plans In Singapore (2021) appeared first on SingSaver Blog - We Compare, You Save.
On the eve of a historic opportunity to reset the battered US-China relationship, the incoming Biden administration should focus on getting the American house in order and achieving quick results, according to future and past US officials and top China experts.Panellists at an Asia Society conference on Thursday prescribed an approach of humility and confidence-building measures.In its approach to China, the guiding principles for the US would be predictability, steadiness and clarity, according to Biden’s incoming Indo-Pacific coordinator Kurt Campbell. He and other panellists said this would stand in sharp contrast to the past four years.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.Campbell, a former State Department official, is expected to be Biden’s key point person on China and Asia policy in the newly-created position within the National Security Council.While some in Beijing policy circles favour improved ties with Washington, others believe the US is in structural decline and want China to push its advantage, he said.At the same time, Beijing was cracking down on Hong Kong and Xinjiang, flexing its muscles in the South China Sea, challenging India, seeking to intimidate Australia and trying to divide the US and Europe. “We have to sort of recognise them in our calculations as we go forward and understand that the Chinese are playing a form of hardball.”Campbell said the initial focus in China relations would be on building consensus with allies and partners, all of which would largely come after the administration grapples with daunting domestic health, economic and social challenges.While there was a lot of talk about rebuilding trust with Beijing, it was important not to overplay the trust factor, he added. A potentially better approach was to focus on small steps that would not fail, avoid surprises and communicate clearly on issues that had been mishandled in recent years. Possible early confidence-building steps included reversing the tit-for-tat expulsion of journalists, easing visa restrictions and restoring closed consulates, Campbell said, adding that the priority was on irritants that could be resolved quickly and easily.“We can‘t say we’d like you to change your whole system, and they can’t say to us, withdraw your forces from Asia,” he said. “We need to deal with the world in which we’re living.”Dave Rank, senior adviser at the Cohen Group and former No 2 at the US embassy in Beijing, said a central difference in approach between the two giants during this wobbly transition period was that Beijing tended to view building trust as a prerequisite to achieving results, while Washington sees results as a precursor to building trust. “We don’t even agree on the nature of trust.”Several speakers at the conference – titled “The Future of US and China: Seeking Truth Through Facts” – said one of the most important steps the US could take in redefining relations with an increasingly assertive China was to address its own problems. How Biden’s America and China can turn page on a rocky relationshipThese ranged from the deep partisan divisions that saw last week’s breach of the Capitol building – with five people killed and lawmakers threatened – to the lives and livelihoods destroyed by the pandemic, and the nation’s wobbly infrastructure, education and race relations, speakers said.Panellists also cited the importance of a change in tone after four years of recriminations, inconsistency, name-calling and policy by tweet. They called for a greater focus on diplomacy, rather than leaks to The Washington Post.But they also said renewed relations would ideally involve changes on the Chinese side, where diplomats were unable to provide important insights and signals for fear their colleagues would accuse them of not following the party line.“So how to reconcile this new period in which conflict between the two of us will tear the world apart and cooperation requires us to learn a new approach to the idea of global influence,” said Henry Kissinger, chairman of Kissinger Associates and former Secretary of State.Campbell said presidential transitions were difficult at the best of times but this one was extraordinary, with some 1,000 appointees coming into the executive branch, mostly unvaccinated, amid daunting domestic concerns.And the outgoing government had been less than helpful, enacting a series of last-minute executive orders ranging from investment bans on Chinese companies and the weakening of domestic pollution standards, to stepped up oil drilling and moves against Iran.“This really is an attempt not just to govern beyond the grave. If these were so good, why not do them six months ago or a year ago,” Campbell said. “But doing them with four or five or six days left really suggests they’re doing this not as part of trying to ensure a legacy, but really just to stick it to the Biden administration.”“A lot of things at the door feel more like booby traps than, you know, welcome packages.”More from South China Morning Post: * US adds nine Chinese firms, including Xiaomi, to military blacklist * China’s new rules on ‘unjustified’ foreign laws bolster ability to strike back at US long-arm jurisdiction * China-US rivalry: cancelled trips to Taiwan, Europe will help ease pressure for a while, observers say * Mike Pompeo is laying ‘landmines’ on Taiwan policy, former Australian leader warnsThis article US ‘should get its house in order’ under Joe Biden before any reset with China first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
By the time Joe Biden is sworn in as the 46th US president Wednesday, his scandal-tainted predecessor Donald Trump will already be far away, having helicoptered out of the White House a last time earlier that morning, an official said Friday.
Good fortune — and good ol’ money parenting — awaits us as Li Chun inches closer! To prepare for the big day, we’ve gathered savings accounts that’ll give your kids the best headstart on their finances. It’s (almost) that time of year again! Li Chun […]The post Li Chun 2021: Best Savings Accounts For Kids To Deposit Ang Bao Money appeared first on SingSaver Blog - We Compare, You Save.
A man who was involved in a fatal incident at Orchard Towers in 2019 has been jailed for five months for obstructing the course of justice.
Looking for travel insurance? Save more with these promo codes and discounts from insurers such as FWD, MSIG, AXA, and more! To find out if your travel insurance covers COVID-19, read this article for the latest updates. No matter your travel itinerary, travel insurance is […]The post Travel Insurance Promotions and Discounts appeared first on SingSaver Blog - We Compare, You Save.
Shares in Xiaomi collapsed on Friday after the United States blacklisted the smartphone giant and a host of other Chinese firms as the Trump administration aims to cement its trade war legacy against Beijing.
Nuclear-armed North Korea unveiled a new submarine-launched ballistic missile at a military parade in Pyongyang, state media showed Friday, in a calculated show of strength days before Joe Biden's inauguration as US president.
The European Union's drug regulator said Friday that COVID-19 vaccine documents stolen from its servers by hackers have been not only leaked to the web, but “manipulated." The European Medicines Agency said that an ongoing investigation showed that hackers obtained emails and documents from November related to the evaluation of experimental coronavirus vaccines. The agency, which regulates drugs and medicines across the 27-member EU, had troves of confidential COVID-19 data as part of its vaccine approval process.