Why isn't it murder, asks family of man killed in Penang 'wrong way' accident


SUNGAI PETANI: "Why not a murder charge?"

This was the question raised by the family of Mohamad Fandi Rosli, the man who died when his car was rammed by a teen driver going against the flow of traffic on the North-South Expressway on March 14.

The teen, Ng Pei Ven, was today charged at the Bukit Mertajam magistrate's court with driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.

Fandi's family however, is less than pleased.

His father Rosli Lin, 57, said the family was expecting Ng to be charged with murder due to the circumstances of the fatal collision.

"It isn't that we could not come to terms with my son's death.

"However, we believe she should have been given a heavier charge because this was not a typical accident.

"It was not just any ordinary accident because she (Ng) was driving against the traffic flow, so she deserves to be slapped with a heavier charge as a deterrent to herself and others," he said when met at his home in Taman Sri Pinang here.

Rosli's wife, Noor Suriani Ismail, 47, said they have engaged a lawyer to pursue further legal action against Ng.

"We are seeking justice for the loss of our only son," she said.

Earlier today, Ng, a part-time model, claimed trial at the Bukit Mertajam magistrate's court in Penang to a charge of driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.

She was charged under Section 44 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 and is staring at up to 10 years' in jail and a fine of up to RM20,000, if found guilty.

In the 7.50am incident on Mar 14, Ng drove her car at high speed against the flow of traffic along the NSE after the Sungai Dua toll on mainland Butterworth and triggered a multi vehicle collision.

Her Proton Gen 2 struck the Perodua Kelisa driven by Mohamad Fandi, 26, which led to a chain of collisions. Fandi died at the scene.

Ng and drivers of four other vehicles sustained minor injuries.

Last Friday, Ng claimed trial at the magistrate's court with administering drugs into her body. She is now out on bail after she pleaded not guilty to the offence.