Wife and lover found dead in carbon monoxide-filled garage. Husband said the other man was the mechanic.

In an enclosed space, carbon monoxide produced by a vehicle can be deadly. (Photo: Godong/UIG via Getty Images)

A man in New Jersey made two shocking discoveries when he came home on Monday night: First, his wife was dead and, second, so was her lover — who he identified as a mechanic, according to law enforcement sources.

Kahali Johnson of Newark, N.J., discovered both his wife and a man in the garage with a running car. His wife, Tamika Hargrave, 41, and the unnamed mechanic, 56, died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, according to NBC 4.

Johnson initially smelled a strong odor of gas in his apartment, and an alarm went off. When he went to investigate the smell, which to him smelled of automobile exhaust, he discovered the running vehicle and the victims.

“As I tried to step to open the last garage door, I see the mechanic, he’s laid out,” Johnson said. “She’s just a few feet away; she’s laid out. And pretty much I had to call 911, because at this time, with that level of emissions, I knew that they were gone.”

The husband believes that the man was trying to fix the vehicle. Law enforcement sources believe that his wife was paying the mechanic for his services with sex. Sources also suggest that the wife and mechanic were inside the car while having sex.

“Basically she died because of carbon monoxide,” Johnson said. “They do not have adequate alarm systems, because if there had been an alarm in that garage, people would have been alerted to the fact that it was going on.”

Newark police say that the incident appears to be an accident, but it is still under investigation.

Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:

Follow us on InstagramFacebook, and Twitter for nonstop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day.