SUBANG JAYA: Yet another mishap involving a travellator has occurred, this time at the Empire Shopping Gallery in Subang Jaya.
A video of what was believed to be the incident has been circulating on social media since yesterday.
The video, recorded via a mobile phone and slightly over a minute long, depicts a chaotic scene, where a woman apparently had her foot trapped at the edge of a travellator.
Security guards are seen attempting to help the woman, while others tried to calm the woman down.
The circumstances leading to the accident remain unclear as at press time.
The mall management however, via its Facebook page yesterday, confirmed that an accident involving a travellator did take place at its premises.
The mall management said the incident occurred at 4pm at the travellator between the LG/B1 floors.
"The shopper was given medical attention immediately, and has been receiving treatment at a nearby hospital. The management for Empire Shopping Gallery sincerely wishes her a smooth and speedy recovery," read the statement.
The management reassured shoppers that travellators and escalators in the mall follow a strict schedule for maintenance in compliance with the Department of Occupational Safety and Health, and that its customers’ safety remains a priority.
The mall said it would be making additional announcements over the PA system in the complex to remind all patrons to be careful and always mindful of their surroundings while shopping.
This marks the second incident of such a nature to occur this week. On Monday, a 20-year-old female student was injured following a mishap at an escalator at the Sunway Pyramid shopping centre.
A video of the incident, which has gone viral on social media, shows the victim sitting beside the escalator with a bad gash on her calf, while friends were seen consoling her.
She had been on the escalator when the incident occurred – but it is unclear how exactly she became injured.
Sunway Pyramid, in a subsequent statement on the incident, said one of the mall's escalators had been “misused” prior to the mishap.
It said its investigation showed that the malfunctioning escalator had been damaged through misuse by shoppers who used baby strollers, among other things. It said the lack of etiquette was a contributing factor to the incident.
The mall said it would install unipoles at its escalators to prevent further incidents.