A young girl and her father were rescued after she was blown out to sea on an inflatable unicorn.
The local coastguard issued a warning about the "dangers of inflatables" after the incident at Irvine Beach Park in Ayrshire on Saturday.
Ardrossan Coastguard Rescue Team spotted the girl "some distance away from the shore", with her father swimming out to try to rescue her.
Both were brought safely back to the shoreline, the coastguard said in a post on Facebook.
They had both swallowed sea water and were checked by paramedics and taken to hospital as a precaution.
Kevin Paterson, Station Officer of the Ardrossan Coastguard Rescue Team, said: "This was an incredibly lucky escape for the young girl and her father after a sunny day at the beach quickly turned into an emergency.
"Fortunately in this instance, Coastguard rescue assets were already on scene as the incident unfolded and were quick to react with additional resources being immediately launched to the area.
"Inflatables are not designed or suitable for use in the sea, especially on days like today when the wind is blowing off shore. These inflatables should only be used in swimming pools where there's no risk of being blown out to sea and there's lifeguards on duty.
"We would urge everyone to leave their inflatables at home when visiting the beach, or if you were thinking of buying one on the way, spending your money on something else.
"Thankfully today's incident had a positive outcome with only the inflatable unicorn being lost to the sea."