65-year-old woman involved in e-scooter accident in Bedok North dies

An undated photo of Ong Bee Eng. (PHOTO: Chinfung Ko/Facebook)
An undated photo of Ong Bee Eng. (PHOTO: Chinfung Ko/Facebook)

SINGAPORE — The 65-year-old woman who was on life support after she was involved in an e-scooter accident last Saturday died in hospital on Wednesday (25 September), police have confirmed.

Ong Bee Eng had collided with an e-scooter while riding her bicycle along Blk 539 Bedok North Street 3, the police said in a statement. She was unconscious when conveyed to the Changi General Hospital (CGH) and succumbed to her injuries four days later.

“The PMD rider, a 20-year-old man, was conscious when conveyed to Changi General Hospital and was subsequently arrested. The police are investigating the case of causing death by rash act,” the police added.

The accident left Ong in a coma on life support at CGH’s Surgical Intensive Care Unit. She had suffered a serious brain injury as well as fractures in her ribs and collar bone.

According to media reports, Ong was on the way home when the accident occurred at around 10.30pm. Earlier on the same day, she had visited her elderly mother who was hospitalised at the Singapore General Hospital and attended a wake.

In a post on Wednesday night, Ong's elder son Ng Chin Khai called for members of the public to give him and his family some time and that they will respond when things are settled. At about the same time, Ng changed his Facebook profile photo to black.

Ng had also previously shared a post by Facebook user Chinfung Ko who addressed the late Ong as her eldest aunt and called her a generous and loving person.

In the post published on Tuesday afternoon, Chinfung said that the accident had “left (Ong’s) brain squashed and her face covered with cuts and bruises — I could no longer recognise her as she laid still on the hospital bed”.

“I’m hoping that any witnesses who saw the accident would reach out to me or my cousin because there will not be a day that we won’t stop thinking about what happened to (my aunt),” she added.

“I sincerely hope that he is recovering well from his fractured hand, while we, the family members of Ong Bee Eng, are still trying to accept the fact that his actions put her in a coma, and we are praying hard for a miracle to happen.”

Have a tip-off? Email us at sgnews.tips@verizonmedia.com. In your email, do provide as many details as possible, including videos and photos.

More Singapore stories:

LGBT activist Roy Tan files legal challenge against constitutionality of Section 377A

K Shanmugam questions funding support behind The Online Citizen: report

Man who repeatedly molested young daughter gets 3 years 8 months' jail, 9 strokes