An Air New Zealand passenger was left with a broken leg in the air for over 6 hours after severe turbulence

  • A man suffered a broken leg due to severe turbulence on an Air New Zealand flight.

  • It happened 30 minutes into a seven-hour journey from Indonesia to Auckland.

  • The crew asked other passengers to move seats so he could lie down for the rest of the trip.

A 47-year-old man had to endure six-and-a-half hours in the air with a broken leg after severe turbulence on a flight, the New Zealand Herald reported.

Niko, a German who's been living in Bali for 13 years, was flying with Air New Zealand from Indonesia to Auckland on Tuesday. The newspaper reported he and his partner, Sasha, were heading on vacation for around three weeks.

On board the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Niko visited the bathroom 30 minutes into the flight — but the jet encountered turbulence on his way back to his seat, per the Herald, breaking his leg in the process.

A friend who picked Niko up from Auckland Airport told the Herald: "His leg pretty much snapped in half." He added that Niko suffered a fractured tibia and fibula.

There was a doctor on board the flight, but only paracetamol was available to try and ease Niko's pain, the Herald reported. That meant he was left suffering for the rest of the seven-hour flight.

"Crew asked some passengers to move from their seats so he was able to lie down for the remainder," the friend added.

The local ambulance service confirmed to the Herald that they attended an incident at the airport around 5:40 a.m.

Air New Zealand also confirmed the incident to the newspaper. The airline did not immediately respond to a request for comment sent by Business Insider outside local working hours.

The airline's chief operational integrity and safety officer told the Herald that a flight would only divert if it was operationally viable, and the team was "sufficiently concerned" about the injured person's welfare.

Coincidentally, this incident comes a month after another Boeing 787 suddenly dropped on its way to Auckland Airport, injuring 50 people. Reports said it was caused by a flight attendant accidentally hitting a switch in the cockpit that pushed the pilot's chair into the controls.

Both incidents serve as reminders for airline passengers to wear their seatbelts whenever possible — even if the cabin sign is off. But sometimes, as in Niko's case, bad luck can't be avoided.

Read the original article on Business Insider