Andrew Lloyd Webber fears coronavirus will keep theatres shut until September

Isobel Lewis
Getty

Andrew Lloyd Webber is not optimistic that theatres will be able to reopen before September due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The live performance industry has been one of those most affected by the world health crisis. All theatres in the West End and Broadway have been forced to shut until at least at least June, as governments ban large gatherings to prevent the spread of the disease.

However, the 72-year-old composer admitted that he was not hopeful this would be possible, telling Page Six that he found the current projections “ridiculous”.

“The industry says theatres reopen June 7. My opinion? Optimistic. Ridiculous. I think this peaks in June, and theatres remain closed until end of September. I’m hoping for maybe October on Broadway,” he said.

“We need these places, many are old, safe as possible. We’ll self-clean handles, wipe doors, utilise every safety measure. People won’t wish to crowd into small clustered seats again. But we must reopen. Some, with leftover money to spend, need the theatre.”

Last week, the theatre icon, who created long-running stage shows including The Phantom of the Opera and Cats, announced that his musicals would be available to stream for free online while theatres were shut.

Read more

Music producer and SNL veteran Hal Willner dies aged 64

Bruce Springsteen and Carole King lead tributes to John Prine

Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals to go online for free during pandemic