Man arrested for murder at Teck Whye Crescent

Body found at Teck Whye Crescent on 16 Aug. Photo: Safhras Khan/Yahoo News Singapore

*UPDATE: This story was amended at 12.15pm on 16 August 2017 to reflect a statement from the police.

A body was found on the pavement near Block 165a Teck Whye Crescent on Wednesday morning (16 Aug).

Arriving at the scene at 8.20am, Yahoo News Singapore‘s correspondent saw the body of a man on the ground.

About a dozen police officers were spotted at the scene.

One of the residents at the block told Yahoo News Singapore that she heard a commotion at about 3am in the morning. “I was asleep and I heard arguing. I got up and that was when I heard the sound of people running down the staircase followed by more shouting,” said the woman, who gave her name only as Hawa.

Hawa, who lives on the third floor, said that fights and arguments happened regularly at the block.

“This is not the first time that I’ve heard fighting during the wee hours of the morning. So I went back to bed. But I am shocked when I saw the cordon when I got up later and heard that a body was found,” said Hawa, who has lived there for five years.

Investigators were seen at the fourth floor of the block gathering evidence. Half of the common corridor on the fourth floor of the block was cordoned off as police carried out their investigations. Blood stains were seen on the wall near the lift landing.

A shop assistant working at the convenience store below the block said that police officers spoke to her when she started her shift at 7am.

She said, “They said a Malay man was involved in a fight and was stabbed at about 4am. They asked me questions but I told them I did not see anything,” said the woman who do not want to be named.

Investigators were seen at a crime scene at 165A Teck Whye Crescent. Photo: Safhras Khan/Yahoo News Singapore
Investigators were seen at a crime scene at 165A Teck Whye Crescent. Photo: Safhras Khan/Yahoo News Singapore

According to police, a 48-year-old suspect was arrested in connection with the case, which has been classified as murder. Police received a call requesting assistance at about 4.42am and upon arrival, a 35-year-old man was found lying motionless at the roadside. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 4.55am.

Officers from Criminal Investigation Department and Jurong Police Division arrested the suspect at 10.15am. Preliminary investigations revealed that the incident is believed to have arisen from a dispute between the victim and the suspect, who are understood to be housemates.

Investigations are ongoing.

More Singapore stories

Man with knife in bag arrested for robbing handphone shop in Bukit Batok