QEW reopens in both directions in Mississauga after crash

A dump truck travelling with its bin in the upright position hit a pedestrian bridge under construction in Mississauga Tuesday morning. (Paul Smith/CBC - image credit)
A dump truck travelling with its bin in the upright position hit a pedestrian bridge under construction in Mississauga Tuesday morning. (Paul Smith/CBC - image credit)

The Queen Elizabeth Way reopened in both directions in Mississauga on Tuesday after an hours-long closure caused by a dump truck with its bin up hitting a pedestrian bridge.

Traffic began flowing again shortly after noon. Police had initially estimated the busy stretch of highway would stay closed until between 2 p.m and 3 p.m.

Provincial police said the collision happened around 8 a.m. The bridge is under construction and no injuries were reported.

The QEW was closed both ways between Cawthra and Dixie roads as a crew worked to remove the truck from the roadway. Police said earlier that a team of engineers would assess the bridge before the highway reopened.

There was no word from police on whether the truck driver could face charges.