Forget air travel - imagine traveling on a sleek, high-speed bullet train at speeds up to 400km/hr instead! The recently announced high-speed rail network linking Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, has been dubbed the "most important project" between the two nations. It was originally expected to be completed by 2020 but is likely to take longer. Either way, the network will change travel - and the region.
Here are five ways the rail network will change Singapore forever:
1. Jurong East: It will transform the sleepy hollow of the Jurong Lake District, which is about the size of Marina Bay. PM Lee says it will become the next commercial hub outside the CBD and the new terminal station is likely to be built there. And the good news is train stations are less intrusive than airports, and transit times are less.
2. Crowds: The proposed line is expected to cut the 300km 5 hour journey to just 90 minutes making it easier and faster commute to and from Singapore on a daily basis.
3. Food: The delights of Malay fare will suddenly become much more accessible, so it could have an impact on Halal restaurants in Singapore.
4. Ramadan: Singapore could practically shut down over Ramadan since it will be so easy to get to Malaysia!
5. Economy: The railway construction will create more jobs and stimulate the economy, but just how much isn't clear yet.