Fox News medical contributor Dr. Nicole Saphier on Monday called out President Donald Trump’s plan to pack the upcoming Republican National Convention with up to 50,000 people during the coronavirus pandemic as “not smart.”
Earlier in the day, Trump threatened to relocate the August convention from Charlotte, North Carolina, if the state’s Democratic governor does not allow “full attendance.”
“If not, we will be reluctantly forced to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site,” Trump tweeted.
During an appearance on Fox News’ “Outnumbered” show, Saphier acknowledged that “we’re talking about several months from now” but noted how North Carolina on Sunday reported its “highest single-day increase to date” in cases of the coronavirus, which has now killed almost 100,000 people nationwide.
“They’re still seeing rising cases and if they’re following that White House blueprint that was put forth by the experts, then they’re not ready to say that they’re going to be able to accommodate 50,000 people in indoor settings come end of August,” she said.
Saphier, the director of breast imaging at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, said “we can’t just go back to the business of usual” of packing people in “like a herd of cows” and potentially spreading the virus. She also pointed out that doing so could have serious repercussions for schools.
“If they have this massive rise of cases just at the end of August, then all of a sudden the fall school year is going to be completely disrupted,” she said. “If our goal is to try and get children back to school, that’s not smart. But moving it somewhere else isn’t necessarily the right answer either.”
“The bottom line is putting a lot of people in a small area is definitely not good for us right now,” Saphier added. “Not for our long term goal of COVID-19.”
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
Also on HuffPost
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.