Inside Indian takeaway ordered to close after huge rodent infestation discovered
The owners of Ranna Indian restaurant in Walthamstow, north east London, were told to pay more than £1,000 in costs.
Shocking photos show inside an Indian takeaway that was ordered to close after health inspectors discovered a huge rodent infestation.
The owners of Ranna Indian restaurant in Walthamstow, north east London, were told to pay £1,096 in costs when they appeared before the courts over the hygiene breach.
An inspection of the restaurant had been carried out by Environmental Health Officers on 25 January, following a customer complaint.
Council workers found evidence of a "significant rodent infestation" at the eatery, including mouse droppings where food was prepared, according to Waltham Forest Council.
Read more: Inside Chinese takeaway that was such a health risk it was shut down immediately
The proprietor - registered to an address in the Isle of Dogs, east London, under the name Saar Takeaway Limited - was ordered to pay the council costs of £1,096.
At Thames Magistrates’ Court, magistrates confirmed the closure of the takeaway and issued a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order (HEPO).
Mouse droppings were found throughout the building - including over food preparation and storage areas, the council said.
Clumps of dirt and grease were also discovered - indicating a lack of any food safety management plan, the authority said.
Read more: Detectorists strike gold as hoard of medieval coins worth £150,000 is declared treasure
The company has since carried out a big clean-up, as well as doing repairs and pest control measures.
The restaurant will stay closed until a follow-up inspection confirms the infestation has been eradicated.
Cllr Khevyn Limbajee, cabinet member for community safety at Waltham Forest Council, said after the hearing: "I shudder to think how long this risk to public health might have remained were it not for the swift and decisive actions of Council Environmental Health Officers.
"Rather than just a means of punishment, I hope this closure order sets the proprietors on the right course towards improving their health and safety practices permanently and restoring the confidence of their customers as well as the council."