SINGAPORE — Epidemiological investigations have revealed that many of the cases in the ongoing KTV cluster visited KTV joints almost every day, while others frequented multiple outlets, sometimes on the same day, said director of medical services Kenneth Mak on Friday (16 July).
"And so our strong suspicion is that mask-off activities have occurred in these contexts, and transmission has taken place, irrespective of whether they were hostesses, whether they were patrons, whether they were visitors to these outlets or whether they were just working in some of these outlets as well," said Associate Professor Mak, who was addressing reporters at a virtual press conference.
Investigations are ongoing, said Prof Mak, with some individuals more reluctant to volunteer information. The age range of Singaporean cases in the cluster ranges from 19 to 60 years.
Prof Mak, who sits on Singapore's multi-ministry taskforce (MTF) on COVID-19 was responding to a question about the breakdown of those who had been infected and whether the Singaporean cases were all patrons of the KTV outlets.
The KTV cluster has now been linked to some 120 cases, making it the biggest active cluster here as well as the largest recorded cluster in the community to date. Earlier, the MTF noted that several nightlife establishments that had been allowed to pivot into F&B operations had abused the system by operating clandestine and illegal activities.
Some 2,000 individuals who came into contact with these cases will be legally obligated to take a COVID test.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore