Male Chinese national, 51, dies from COVID-19 infection; 24th fatality in Singapore

National University Hospital at Lower Kent Ridge Road. (Yahoo News Singapore file photo)

SINGAPORE — A 51-year-old male Chinese national has died from COVID-19 infection, bringing the death toll in Singapore from the coronavirus to 24.

The man, identified as case 17,329, died on Sunday (31 May), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Monday in its daily update of coronavirus cases in Singapore. 

He was confirmed to have COVID-19 infection on 1 May. He was diagnosed with lymphoma complicated by multi-organ failure while he had been warded in the intensive care unit in end-April.

“Despite being treated for lymphoma, his condition had deteriorated and he subsequently passed on,” the MOH said.

The man was the youngest COVID-19 linked fatality in Singapore. 

The National University Hospital has reached out to his family and is extending assistance to them.

In a separate statement, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) expressed its deepest condolences to the deceased’s family. The family members and employer of the deceased, as well as the Chinese embassy in Singapore, have been informed.

The man started working in Singapore in 2001.

“He was working as a foreman under his current employer for close to a year and had no employment issues. His employer had alerted his family of his condition when he was first admitted to the ICU on 6 May 2020. The hospital had also provided regular updates to the employer,” the MOM said.

The ministry added that it is working with the Migrant Workers’ Centre to provide short-term financial assistance to the deceased’s family via its Migrant Workers Assistance Fund. The employer will also be assisting the family members on the funeral arrangements.

The MOH confirmed 408 new coronavirus cases in Singapore as of Monday noon, all of whom are foreign workers living in dormitories, bringing the total of COVID-19 cases here to 35,292.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

Related stories

Government asks Singaporeans to reject NIMBY mindset as it overhauls foreign worker housing

COVID-19: Face shields allowed only under specific conditions from 2 June, masks remain mandatory

COVID-19: 40,000 migrant workers who live in dormitories cleared of virus – Josephine Teo