Murder probe as man, 20, with ‘heart of gold’ dies in hospital after west London shooting

‘Heart of gold’: Sebastiaan James-Kraan, 20 (Metropolitan Police)
‘Heart of gold’: Sebastiaan James-Kraan, 20 (Metropolitan Police)

A young man described as a “gentle giant with a heart of pure gold” has died in hospital five days after being shot in west London.

Sebastiaan James-Kraan, 20, was attacked by a gang of men and suffered a single gunshot injury on Templeman Road, near Browning Avenue, Hanwell at around 2.10am on Sunday.

Officers attended with paramedics who took him to a major trauma centre in a life-threatening condition.

He lost his fight for life on Wednesday.

Mr James-Kraan’s next of kin have been informed and a post mortem will take place next week.

In a statement, his family said: “Sebastiaan James-Kraan was cruelly taken away from his family at such a young age.

“He was a kind, loving, gentle man with a beautiful soul who will be greatly missed by his loving family and many friends. A gentle giant with a heart of pure gold.”

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police’s homicide unit are now leading the investigation and specialist forensic work has been carried out at the scene.

Detective Chief Inspector Wayne Jolley said: “At this early stage in the investigation, we believe the victim was involved in an altercation with a group of men, resulting in the victim being shot once.

“I would like to speak to any witnesses who heard or saw anything in the Templeman Road area at around 2am on Sunday, June 9.”

Scotland Yard said: “Enquiries are under way, which include work at the scene by forensic specialists.

“There has been no arrest at this stage.”

Forensic specialists remain at the scene in Browning Avenue, Hanwell (Google Maps)
Forensic specialists remain at the scene in Browning Avenue, Hanwell (Google Maps)

Chief Superintendent Sean Wilson, in charge of policing in the Ealing area, said: “I know that a death caused by gun crime will cause considerable concern in the local community.

“My thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim and my officers are doing everything to support the murder investigation.”

His death follows a number of separate London shootings which have left at least six people injured in barely two weeks.

A nine-year-old girl is still fighting for life after a lone motorcyclist fired bullets towards a restaurant where she was eating dinner with her family in Kingsland Road, Dalston on May 29.

Three men – aged 37, 42 and 44 – sitting outside were also shot and have since been discharged from hospital.

Detectives said the drive-by attack was pre-planned and are investigating a potential link to organised Turkish criminal networks.

Meanwhile, a 23-year-old man remains in hospital after being shot in Porters Avenue, Dagenham at lunchtime on June 5.

On Monday night, a male in his 20s sustained life-changing injuries in a shooting outside Granby House on Ogilby Street, Woolwich.

London Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 2.03am on Sunday, June 9 to reports of a shooting on Browning Avenue, W7.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, a paramedic in a fast response car and an incident response officer. We also dispatched a trauma team in a car from London’s air ambulance, which consisted of a doctor and a paramedic in a car.

“We treated a patient at the scene and took them to a major trauma centre as a priority.”

Anyone with information or who witnessed the Hanwell murder is asked to call police via 101, quoting reference 807/09jun, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.