SINGAPORE — This year's National School Games (NSG) will start at the end of the month with only 12 non-contact sports for three divisions, following a one-year hiatus owing to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ministry of Education (MOE) said in a media release on Tuesday (9 March) that the NSG – which was originally scheduled to begin last month – will take place from 29 March to 27 May for the A Division (junior college), B Division (Secondary 3, 4 and 5), and Senior Division (Primary 5 and 6).
The following 12 non-contact sports – with limited contact and intermingling between participants – will be resuming:
MOE said that the remaining 17 sports involve prolonged physical contact during the sport or intermingling between students from different schools throughout the competition, and thus will remain suspended for this year.
They are: basketball, canoeing, cricket, cross country, fencing, floorball, football, hockey, judo, netball, rugby, sailing, softball, squash, swimming, track and field, and water polo.
The ministry said that it expects to resume NSG for the C Division (Secondary 1 and 2) and Junior Division (Primary 3 to 5) in Term 3.
Safe management measures during NSG
Safe management measures will be put in place for the 12 NSG sports. For example, up to a maximum of eight players will be allowed to interact during the games.
For sports like bowling, student athletes will have to keep a minimum safe distance of two metres from one another. For net barrier sports, players must stay on opposite sides of the net.
In addition, up to a maximum of 50 participants will be allowed in the venue at any one time, and each school must remain in their designated area to minimise intermingling between students across schools. No spectators will be allowed.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore
Other Singapore stories: