Orchard Towers death: Man accused of murder gets fresh charges involving violence

The entrance to Orchard Towers seen blocked off in the early hours of 18 April 2020, Day 12 of the country's partial lockdown. (PHOTO: Dhany Osman / Yahoo News Singapore)
The entrance to Orchard Towers. (FILE PHOTO: Dhany Osman / Yahoo News Singapore)

SINGAPORE — The man charged with murder over the 2019 Orchard Towers death was handed 10 fresh charges on Friday (1 October), two of which are related to the same incident.

Tan Sen Yang, now 30, was handed one charge for waving a kerambit knife and cutting the right index finger of another individual, B Barathkrishnan, while at the entrance of Naughty Girl Club at Orchard Towers between 6.21am and 6.24am on 2 July 2019. He is said to have done a rash act endangering human life over this alleged act.

At around the same time and venue, Tan is also alleged to have slashed the face of a Muhammad Fairus Muhammad Ali with the kerambit knife, causing permanent disfiguration. This charge constitutes voluntarily causing grievous hurt.

He appeared in the State Courts via video link to receive his fresh charges. His case is fixed for a pre-trial conference and will return to court on 22 November for a further mention.

Tan is already facing a capital charge before the High Court for the death of Satheesh Noel Gobidass, whom he is said to have allegedly murdered at the entrance of Orchard Towers at about 6.25am on the same day.

Dispute between groups led to injuries and death

Six others - Joel Tan Yun Sheng, Ang Da Yuan, Natalie Siow, Chan Jia Xing, and Loo Boon Chong, and Tan Hong Sheng - were initially charged with murder alongside Tan Sen Yang over the incident. All had their charges downgraded and have since been sentenced.

During their plead guilty mentions, it emerged that Tan Sen Yang had been drinking at the Naughty Girl Club and left at around 6.20am. While at the entrance, a dispute arose between his group - which included several of his co-accused persons - and another group of patrons, and he was seen waving his kerambit knife above his head.

In the resulting fray, two were injured - a security officer and a patron.

As the group made their way to the ground floor entrance, they were confronted by Satheesh, who was later attacked. The group then fled, leaving Satheesh to walk towards and entrance of Orchard Towers, before collapsing face first to the ground.

Photos of the incident went viral.

Eight more unrelated charges, most involving violence

Apart from the Orchard Towers incident, Tan Sen Yang also faces eight unrelated charges spanning 2015 to 2019, most of them involving violence.

He is accused of punching a man at ComfortDelGro Driving Centre in Ubi on 2 November 2015; punching a woman's face at St James Power Station on 23 February 2017; criminally intimidating another woman on 2 June 2019; stabbing a man at a void deck in Compassvale Walk on 23 August 2016; and attacking someone with a cleaver on 22 March 2017 outside of Orchard Towers.

On 1 July 2019, a day before the alleged murder, He is also alleged to have punched a parking enforcement officer and then kicked his motorcycle, toppling it.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore