The Kedah government is to notify all land owners of the need to obtain approval from the state and National Heritage Department before any construction can proceed on land with any structures that could be deemed as archaeological remnants.
Menteri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir said the directive would be issued to avert a recurrence of the incident where a candi was destroyed in Sungai Batu in the archaeologically rich Lembah Bujang.
"I have informed the state secretary. It will take some time because we have to identify the land owners to send this circular," he said after launching a flood relief drive for Kuantan by the Kedah Umno Liaison Committee.
Mukhriz said the reconstruction of the destroyed ruins of the 8th century temple would be possible because the candi had been reconstructed in 1974 by someone known as Haji Jalil, who lived in Malacca. – Bernama, December 8, 2013.