SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Health (MOH) on Monday confirmed Singapore’s 28th COVID-19 related death and an over seven-month low of four more new cases, taking the country’s tally to 57,880.
A 64-year-old male permanent resident, case 57960, died from COVID-19 related complications on Monday, said the ministry. The man had been working in India since December last year and was placed on the stay-home notice when he returned to Singapore on 23 September.
“He was confirmed to have COVID-19 infection on 4 October and had a history of hypertension. Singapore General Hospital has reached out to his family and is extending assistance to them,” said the ministry.
The man is Singapore’s first COVID-19 related fatality since 14 July.
Separately, Monday’s daily case tally is the lowest since 4 March, when two cases were reported. All four new cases are asymptomatic and were proactively detected, said the ministry.
— Yahoo Singapore (@YahooSG) October 12, 2020
Of them, one is in the community. The one-year-old girl is a family member of two previously confirmed cases. All three cases had arrived from India on 16 September and were placed on the 14-day stay-home notice at a dedicated facility.
The other, who resides in a foreign worker dormitory, had been identified earlier as a contact of previous cases and had already been quarantined and tested.
The remaining two are imported cases, including a PR who returned to Singapore from the Philippines, and a work pass holder currently employed here who arrived from India and the United Arab Emirates. They had both been placed on the stay-home notice upon their arrival here and were tested while serving the notice.
Overall, all new cases have established links.
The MOH said the number of new cases in the community has decreased from an average of one case per day in the week before, to an average of fewer than one per day in the past week.
Similarly, the number of unlinked cases in the community has also decreased from an average of fewer than one case per day in the week before, to none in the past week.
The ministry also announced the closure of a cluster at a 9 Sungei Kadut Avenue dorm, as there have been no cases linked to it for the past two incubation periods, or 28 days.
99% of total cases have recovered; none in ICU
With 23 more patients discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities on Monday, 57,728 cases – or 99.7 per cent of the total – have fully recovered from the infection.
Most of the 48 hospitalised cases are stable or improving, while none is in critical condition in the intensive care unit.
A total of 76 patients with mild symptoms or are clinically well but still test positive are isolated and cared for at community facilities.
Apart from 28 patients who have died from COVID-19 complications, 15 others who tested positive for the virus were determined to have died from unrelated causes, including three whose deaths were attributed to a heart attack and another four, whose deaths were attributed to coronary heart disease.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore
More Singapore stories: