SINGAPORE — A 100kg World War II bomb relic discovered in Upper Bukit Timah has been successfully disposed of as of Tuesday afternoon (26 September).
Local media outlets reported that more than 4,000 residents in the vicinity were evacuated earlier in the morning as a precautionary measure.
Safety assessments underway after successful disposal
The Singapore Police Force said in a Facebook post that the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team had successfully handled the aerial bomb, completing the disposal at 1.45 pm.
The Straits Times reported that the bomb is believed to be one of the largest wartime munitions ever found in Singapore, and was subjected to two controlled explosions.
The police said around 2pm that government agencies such as the Building and Construction Authority, the Public Utilities Board, SP Group and the Housing Board were conducting assessments in the area.
They were evaluating the construction site, roads, nearby drains, pipelines and the vacated buildings for any building and structural safety concerns. Several roads, including a section of the Bukit Panjang Flyover, remain closed.
Government agencies declare safety all clear, residents cleared to return home
In a Facebook post update at 5.09pm, the police officially confirmed that the government agencies have completed their assessment of the construction site, nearby drainage systems, pipelines and the buildings that were evacuated.
"They have assessed that the affected buildings and roads are structurally safe. The residents have been informed that it is safe to return to their homes," said the police in the statement.
Holland-Bukit Timah GRC MP Vivian Balakrishnan commends authorities and community
In a Facebook post on the same day, Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, also a Member of Parliament for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, expressed his deepest appreciation for the successful disposal of the World War II bomb relic.
He commended various groups for their roles in managing the situation, as he wrote "Deepest appreciation for the successful disposal of the WW2 bomb relic - the SAF EOD unit for their professionalism and courage; the SPF for their meticulous and reassuring approach to public safety; the BCA and HDB for ensuring building integrity; LTA for traffic control; the PA staff and volunteers who so cheerfully stepped up to support our community, and, of course, our residents for being calm and composed in dealing with this situation."
Discovery of WWII relic sparks safety measures and road closures
The war relic was initially discovered last week at the construction site of the upcoming Myst condominium, as stated by the police on Monday.
Following this discovery, authorities were alerted, and the SAF EOD team determined that it was unsafe to move the war relic. Consequently, the decision was made to dispose of it on-site.
To ensure public safety, a 200-metre safety zone was established around the bomb, and the surrounding roads were closed starting at 11am on Tuesday.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.