Africa Cup ticket sales pass 550,000

Ticket sales for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa reached 563,000 Friday, passing the half-million target after a slow start, a Confederation of African Football (CAF) official said.

"We are reaching 563,000 tickets that have been sold, including an opening (double-header) that's sold out," CAF secretary general Hicham El Amrani told a media conference.

"In the history of the Cup of Nations, at this stage, we never reached such a level of percentage of filling the stadiums," he said one day before the African football showcase kicks off.

Around 850,000 tickets are available for the 22-day tournament, but organisers set a lower target given traditionally poor crowds for matches not featuring the host nation.

Half the 90,000 tickets available for the February 10 Soweto final have also been sold, though organisers are still nervous over sales for Group B in Port Elizabeth and Group D in Rustenburg.

CAF also announced that the final, originally scheduled for 1800GMT (2000 SA time) will kick off 30 minutes later to allow more time for the closing ceremony.

Local organising committee (LOC) head Mvuso Mbebe hinted that unsold tickets might be given to young people.

Around 4,400 security personnel and more than 2,500 volunteers will facilitate safety and movement in and out of Soccer City in Soweto for the opening ceremony, which begins at 1500GMT (1700 SA time).

Viewership of the continent's largest sporting event has increased by 220 percent to around six billion cumulatively between the 2010 finals in Angola and the 2012 finals in Gabon/Equatorial Guinea last year, said El Amrani.

"We're lucky to be in South Africa where our work was made easy, especially with the legacy of the World Cup," he said.

South Africa took over the 2013 tournament last year after original hosts Libya pulled out following the popular uprising that toppled long-time dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

  • COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more 16 hours ago
    COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more

    Kirsten Han is a Singaporean blogger, journalist and filmmaker. She is also involved in the We Believe in Second Chances campaign for the abolishment of the death penalty. A social media junkie, she tweets at @kixes. The views expressed are … Continue reading →

  • Driving a $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder to the future 19 hours ago
    Driving a $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder to the future

    It’s more than just its inherent speed, or the whooshing noise that fills the cabin like a school choir jamming with James Hetfield. It’s what it represents in an industry full of skeptics. It’s a portal into the future – a time capsule left by some mad scientist born decades too soon. It’s something that shouldn’t exist. And yet it does.

  • 919 reasons to love: Flickr photo of the day 20 hours ago
    919 reasons to love: Flickr photo of the day

    We've brought you the drive video of the $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder -- an 887-hp hybrid supercar with two electric motors working in harmony with a big 4.6-liter V-8. But how about this? Porsche's hybrid Le Mans racer -- the 919 Hybrid, sent to us by Kevin Leech. Get on board with electrification, folks. Because it's taking over the world.

  • COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more
    COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more

    Kirsten Han is a Singaporean blogger, journalist and filmmaker. She is also involved in the We Believe in Second Chances campaign for the abolishment of the death penalty. A social media junkie, she tweets at @kixes. The views expressed are … Continue reading →

  • Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers
    Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers

    Singaporeans on social media reacted angrily to news that tissue sellers at hawker centres and street corners are being required to pay for an annual licence.

  • Arrest warrant sought for S. Korea ferry captain
    Arrest warrant sought for S. Korea ferry captain

    South Korean prosecutors sought arrest warrants Friday for the captain and two crew members of the ferry that capsized two days before with hundreds of children on board, a coastguard official said. The captain and most of his 28 crew managed to escape the ferry, and have been criticised for abandoning the ship when so many were still trapped on board. Tracking data from the Maritime Ministry showed the ferry made a sharp turn just before sending its first distress signal on Wednesday morning. Prosecutors said Friday that preliminary investigations showed that captain Lee Joon-Seok had handed the helm to his third officer before the ferry capsized.