Barangaroo South, a 7.5ha site close to Sydney’s Central Business District, has been named as Australia’s first carbon-neutral precinct by Australia’s government.
The site was jointly developed by the New South Wales government and Australian developer Lendlease, which is also behind the development of Singapore’s Paya Lebar Quarter.
Barangaroo South is Australia’s first carbon-neutral precinct (Picture: Lendlease)
The site at Barangaroo South comprises commercial, residential, retail, F&B, and hospitality elements. The area has been designed to achieve high sustainability credentials since the planning phase, and buildings were designed to meet climate positive targets and carbon neutrality.
According to Lendlease, this includes features like a district cooling plant that saves close to 40 Olympic-sized swimming pools of water each year, and a waste management system that has diverted more than 5,400 tonnes of waste from landfills over the past three years.
Barangaroo South is a 7.5ha site close to Sydney’s Central Business District (Picture: pixabay)
More than 20,000 employees on the site have also embraced sustainability initiatives such as reducing single-use plastic products and using compostable food packaging. There is also high demand for end-of-trip facilities to support activities such as cycling.
According to Steve McCann, Lendlease group CEO, “We’ve been creating carbon-neutral buildings and places long before it became industry practice. Our approach to sustainability is a key differentiator for us and has helped us secure our pipeline projects around the world.”
- PLQ completion, launch of global commercial Reit spur Lendlease on
- Paya Lebar Quarter: The allure of live, work and play
- Lendlease launches IPO of $1 bil global commercial REIT
- Singapore Property for Sale & Rent, Latest Property News, Advanced Analytics Tools
- M&G Real Estate adds 12 Japan properties to its portfolio
- Keppel Land and Rustomjee Group to co-develop Mumbai township
- Radisson Hotel Group opens new luxury beachfront resort in Vietnam
- Keppel DC Reit acquires second data centre in Germany
- En Bloc Calculator, Find Out If Your Condo Will Be The Next en-bloc
- HDB Resale Flats Up For Sale, Affordable Units Available