Blackstone buying shopping centre stake

By Nikki De Guzman: Blackstone Group recently announced it will buy a majority stake in 40 US shopping centres valued at US$1.1 billion, as it expands into grocery-anchored retail property.

Considered the largest real estate private-equity firm in the US, it will pay an estimated US$274 million in cash and about US$463 million in debt for a two-thirds stake in the properties spread across the metropolitan areas of New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco and San Diego. Selling the stake is UBS Wealth Management North American Property Fund.

Real estate investment trust Kimco Realty, the joint venture partner of UBS, will boost its stake to 33 percent from 18 percent. Kimco will pay approximately US$61 million in cash and undertake an additional US$104 million of the project's debt.

In 2011, Blackstone bought the US shopping centres of Australia's Centro Properties Group for US$9 billion and rebranded the company as Brixmor Property Group. Last year, Blackstone and Beachwood formed a partnership to buy 46 US malls for US$1.43 billion from a unit of Tel Aviv-based Elbit Imaging.

This latest deal was put together by Kimco and the UBS fund between 2005 to 2007. David Henry, Kimco's President and Chief Executive Officer, said the malls are "very high quality assets".

"We are happy to continue our role as the operating partner and should continue to be paid for that," he added.

Kimco owns stakes in 896 shopping centres globally. Nikki De Guzman, Junior Reporter at PropertyGuru, wrote this story. To contact her about this or other stories email nikki@allproperty.com.sg Related Stories: Hilton expands in India

CapitaMalls Asia posts strong results thanks to Asia's growth

Eastpoint to get major renovation

More from PropertyGuru:
Industrial prices soared in 2012: report
Malaysia hotel voted among most romantic
Commercial investment outlook in Asia Pac brightens
Asia becoming global hub for pharma industry

  • 2015 Dodge Charger goes under the knife 1 hour 9 minutes ago
    2015 Dodge Charger goes under the knife

    Over the past decade, Chrysler's rear-wheel-drive sedans have managed to survive a bankruptcy and three different corporate overlords. Thanks to the original stoutness of the Mercedes-assisted chassis, and the periodic updates that keep them from seeming like 21st-century versions of the Ford Crown Victoria, the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger combo still draw in fans. Today, Dodge revealed yet another redesign for the 2015 Charger — and for an old car, it's quite the change.

  • Thursday #sgroundup: Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers 1 hour 9 minutes ago
    Thursday #sgroundup: Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers

    Here are the top trending stories of today in case you missed them:

  • 2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd 15 hours ago
    2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd

    Nissan says its 2015 Murano crossover, only the second major revamp of the car since it debuted in 2003, draws its design cues from the “age of future space flight.” That’s probably taking it a little far, but the new Murano, based off the 2013 Resonance concept vehicle, is an exceptionally lovely machine, all fluid, curved metal on the outside, and flowing, soft-touch materials on the inside. Certain kinds of comfort and charms that were unheard-of outside of premium vehicles five years ago have definitely trickled down, and reached a kind of design apotheosis with this car.

  • ‘Huge’ Hindu, Buddhist statues against Islam, ex-judge says
    ‘Huge’ Hindu, Buddhist statues against Islam, ex-judge says

    KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — The “huge” statues at a Hindu temple in Batu Caves and Buddhist temple in Penang are an affront to Islam as the religion forbids idolatry, a retired Court of Appeals judge...

  • Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes
    Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes

    By Narae Kim JINDO South Korea (Reuters) - More than 280 people, many of them students from the same high school, were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea on Wednesday, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years. It was not immediately clear why the Sewol ferry listed heavily on to its side and capsized in apparently calm conditions off South Korea's southwest coast, but some survivors spoke of a loud noise prior to the disaster.

  • StarHub 4G users to be charged from June as promo ends
    StarHub 4G users to be charged from June as promo ends

    Are you on the 4G or LTE mobile data network under StarHub? If so, you’ll have to start paying for the service.