SINGAPORE — Nearly 400 people serving their Stay-Home Notice (SHN) at the Mandarin Orchard Singapore hotel have been swabbed for COVID-19, with three having tested positive for the coronavirus, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Sunday (20 December).
The testing comes as part of the ministry’s investigations into 13 cases of infection among those who has served their SHN at the hotel between 22 October and 11 November.
MOH said a total of 394 people serving their SHN at the hotel had been tested, with 381 results have come back negative for the coronavirus and another 10 results still pending. The three infected cases have been conveyed to a hospital via ambulance.
“As they have recent travel history, it is likely that these are imported and have been included in today’s case count,” said the ministry, which also announced that a total of 19 new infections had been detected as of noon on Sunday.
“Nevertheless the National Public Health Laboratory will conduct whole genome sequencing and phylogenetic analysis to determine if they could be linked to the 13 cases. It takes about four weeks to culture the virus and complete the genome sequencing,” added MOH.
The ministry said 158 staff from the hotel had been tested and that all their Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test results have come back negative for COVID-19. However, the serological tests of the staff members showed three positive results – indicating likely past infections.
MOH is conducting epidemiological investigations into these cases.
No new guests have been accepted at the hotel since the MOH’s investigations were announced on Saturday and existing guests are being progressively checked out. All those who were serving SHN at the hotel have also been moved – in dedicated vehicles – to an alternate SHN facility.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore
Watch Yahoo News videos on Yahoo TV: