'Don't shout, I'll slash you': Man on trial for allegedly raping daughter at knifepoint

Wan Ting Koh
The accused faces two one count each of aggravated outrage of modesty and outrage of modesty, and two counts each of criminal intimidation and voluntarily causing hurt. (PHOTO: Getty Creative)

SINGAPORE — A 48-year-old man allegedly raped his adult daughter at knifepoint after they both drank alcohol together in their flat.

The accused, whose trial opened at the High Court on Tuesday (17 September), faces two counts of aggravated rape, one of aggravated sexual assault; one count each of aggravated outrage of modesty and outrage of modesty; and two counts each of criminal intimidation and voluntarily causing hurt.

All the offences were said to have been committed against the victim, who is now 27, in 2016. Both the accused and victim cannot be named to protect the latter’s identity.

‘Don’t shout, I’ll slash you’

According to the prosecution, the accused had been living in the flat since 2 March 2016. The victim’s mother, who is divorced from the accused, left the flat to stay with her son 20 days after her ex-husband moved in.

Both father and daughter were alone in the flat on 27 March 2016 when the alleged incident took place. They had been drinking alcohol and chatting when the victim fell asleep. She woke up to her father touching her private parts over her shorts.

The victim then opened her eyes to see her father, who was naked, touching her, said Deputy Public Prosecutors Kavita Uthraparthy and Ng Yiwen.

The father then allegedly placed a penknife blade against his daughter’s neck and said, “Don’t shout, I’ll slash you”.

“As a result, the victim was put in fear of death and frightened into subordination by the accused. The victim was made to suffer indignities, humiliation and pain at the hands of the man that she loved and called ‘appa’, as the accused committed the acts in the charges, callously ignoring her pleas to let her go,” said the prosecutors.

The man raped his daughter twice and also forced her to perform other sexual acts. When the woman tried to wrestle the weapon away, the man punched and strangled her into compliance, said the prosecution.

Later that day, the victim managed to coax her father into returning her mobile phone and allowing her to leave the flat by herself. She left on the pretext of buying a drink and later decided to make a police report. Her father was arrested that night.

The woman was examined at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital on 27 and 28 March, where she was found to have a laceration on her neck. She was also examined by a psychiatrist, who will testify that the woman was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and showed signs of depression following the incident.

The prosecution will also be producing evidence to show that the man called his daughter 36 times between the time she left the flat till the time of his arrest. In his text messages, the accused also allegedly apologised to his daughter.

The trial continues on Wednesday.

More Singapore stories:

Cleaner killed supervisor at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal, pawned victim's jewellery for dowry: prosecution

Blogger who used sex videos to blackmail teenage girl gets jail, caning

Body found at Chin Swee Road: Couple charged with murdering their toddler in March 2014

Singapore convenes Haze Task Force, sets out advisories to manage haze impact