Formula One: Night race push threatens Aussie GP

The Australian Grand Prix has been a mainstay of Formula One since the 1980s, but a row over night racing is looming as a serious threat to one of the sport's most popular events.

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone incensed local organisers when he warned Australia was the "least viable" grand prix and could be moved elsewhere, possibly to Asia, unless night racing is introduced to boost viewing figures.

There were reports that 81-year-old Ecclestone had even offered a get-out clause to Australian organisers to cancel the Melbourne race -- which will open the new Formula One season this week -- before its contract expires in 2015.

Negotiations for a new contract are expected to begin late next year or in early 2014 and Ecclestone said with other countries keen to replace Australia, a night race would go a long way to preserving the event.

Ecclestone has been urging organisers for several years to switch to a race under floodlights around the Albert Park street circuit, to suit European television audiences.

Organisers have cited the prohibitive costs of lighting the parkland track, and compromised in 2009 by starting the Melbourne race at 5:00 pm (0600 GMT).

But they have refused to follow Singapore's lead and race at night, with organisers "categorically" ruling out a floodlit grand prix in Melbourne.

Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief executive Andrew Westacott said, despite pressure from Ecclestone, the Melbourne event's 5:00 pm timeslot would remain.

"I can categorically say there won't be a night race in Melbourne," Westacott told reporters this month.

Although the Melbourne race is popular with drivers and teams, it runs at a substantial loss for taxpayers in the state of Victoria, where the event has been hotly debated since it switched from Adelaide in 1996.

Last year's grand prix cost Aus$50 million (US$53.6 million) to stage, with at least Aus$25 million of the sum reportedly going to Ecclestone for the right to host the contest.

With estimates of more than Aus$150 million in combined losses over the Melbourne race's history, the state's Major Events Minister Louise Asher has vowed to talk tough when negotiations for a new contract begin.

"When we come to negotiate we will play hardball," she said, adding the current contract was not delivering the best deal for taxpayers.

But Ecclestone continues to insist on a night race, and his unsentimental approach to developing Formula One indicates he should be taken seriously.

France and Turkey have been axed from the calendar and Formula One has aggressively sought new markets, with seven races currently in the Asia-Pacific region and Texas hosting its first this year.

"I wish we could have a night race in Australia," Ecclestone said. "We have other races ready to take the place of Australia, which we don't want to happen."

Despite Ecclestone's threats of taking the race elsewhere, leading drivers are effusive in their praise of Melbourne, where practice will get underway on Friday.

"Australia is one of the best places we go to. It's good to know we're going racing again, I can't wait to get on the flight and get down under," reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel said.

Lewis Hamilton agreed: "The Melbourne crowd lives and breathes it. It's a great place to start the season. A great city with a really positive vibe and a racetrack that's really made for racing."

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, who has won four times in Australia, said: "Melbourne is a perfect location, and the ideal place to start the season.

"The city loves Formula One, the fans create a great atmosphere and obviously, as drivers, we feel that too."

  • Treasure trove of British newsreels reveals Top Gear's ancestors 3 hours ago
    Treasure trove of British newsreels reveals Top Gear's ancestors

    Long after television grew to dominate American and British homes, newsreel producer British Pathé kept at it, documenting the news of the day until finally ceasing production of new short films in 1970 after 60 years of effort. Last week, all of British Pathé's 85,000 films were put online — including dozens of fascinating, rare and often weird car films that resemble nothing so much as a jet-age Top Gear.

  • Nissan tests self-cleaning paint that could make car washes obsolete 4 hours ago
    Nissan tests self-cleaning paint that could make car washes obsolete

    During this vile, never-ending winter, motorists had three options to keep their cars clean: Shell out on regular car washes; slave away in the cold, wind and snow washing it yourself, or screw it and just drive a dirty car. I, like many, chose the last option. But if only I'd been able to test Nissan's self-cleaning car, all my troubles would have washed away.

  • Popular hot yoga myths debunked 11 hours ago
    Popular hot yoga myths debunked

    What’s the hottest new workout taking the world by storm? That would be hot yoga, also known as Bikram yoga. Conducted in a heated room with sweltering temperatures of about 40°C (or approximately 104° Fahrenheit) and 40 per cent humidity, … Continue reading →

  • Photo of a very thin Lee Kuan Yew sparks concern
    Photo of a very thin Lee Kuan Yew sparks concern

    A new picture of Singapore's first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, who is now 90 years old, has drawn concern from people on Singapore's internet space.

  • Waste oil collector struggles after STOMP posts, receives help from kind souls
    Waste oil collector struggles after STOMP posts, receives help from kind souls

    After being photographed at work in Jurong pooling used oil near coffee shops, 50-year-old Valerie Sim has been struggling to keep her family afloat. Web portals STOMP and The Real Singapore published pictures of her in February, triggering a witch hunt for others like her and comments from readers like “Who knows if they’ll use it as cooking oil?” Some readers also said they filed police reports against her and other people they believed were doing the same thing she was.

  • I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind.
    I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind.

    I have committed a taboo – I have tendered my resignation without securing the next job. The reactions to the announcement were varied but they all pretty much hint at a deep sense of disapproval. “Why did you do that?” It was as if I had renounced my faith. “What are you going to do from now on?” Almost as though a misfortune had incapacitated me. “What does your family have to say about it?” As if I had offered to cook for the next family dinner. I was, and still am, certain of my reasons and motivations for the resignation. However the response I received got me thinking about why people are so concerned about the gaps in their careers. The developed world evolved from an agricultural economy to an industrial economy to the service age, then to the knowledge economy in the late 1990s and 2000s marked by breakthroughs in technological innovations and competition for innovation with new products and processes that develop from the research community. According to The Work Foundation, the knowledge economy is driven by the demand for higher value added goods and services created by more sophisticated, more discerning, and better educated consumers and ... The post I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind. appeared first on Vulcan Post.