Mobile phone and internet services were suspended in Jammu and Kashmir's Uri district on Monday, 20 September, after a group of heavily-armed terrorists attempted to penetrate the Line of Control (LoC).
According to an NDTV report, a counter-infiltration operation has been underway for over 30 hours. A large area has been cordoned off and reinforcements have been stationed.
The report said that this is believed to be the biggest infiltration attempt from across the Line of Control in recent years.
This is the first time that these services are being suspended following an infiltration attempt.
"There is operation which is ongoing for the last 24 hours in Uri, in which we felt that there is an infiltration attempt which has been made. We are looking for them. But we are quite alert and we will ensure minimal infiltration takes place," Lieutenant General DP Panday told NDTV on Monday evening, adding that it was not certain whether the militants were still on the Indian side of the border or had left.
The infiltration attempt was reportedly detected late on Saturday evening, on what was also the fifth anniversary of the Uri attack.
This is the second attempt that has been made to penetrate the cross-national border this year.
Notably, no attempt to violate the ceasefire agreement has been made this year, as per Panday.
The Jammu and Kashmir government had previously suspended internet services across the union territory on 1 September, following the death of Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Geelani.
(With inputs from NDTV)
. Read more on India by The Quint.J&K: Mobile, Internet Suspended in Uri After Infiltration Attempt by TerroristsThe IT Team Was Very Happy With Our Documents: Sonu Sood . Read more on India by The Quint.