Man who assaulted girlfriend outside Sentosa club jailed

(Yahoo News Singapore stock image)
(Yahoo News Singapore stock image)

SINGAPORE — During a night out drinking at a Sentosa beach club, a man lost his temper at his girlfriend and viciously assaulted her.

Footage played in court showed Rahiman Rahim dragging the victim by her hair along a footpath, kicking the victim's face and stomping on her head during the attack.

The 31-year-old was jailed two months and fined $1,000 on Wednesday (23 June) after he pleaded guilty to one count of voluntarily causing hurt and using criminal force against a cabby in a separate incident. Another two charges, including failing to wear a mask during the assault, were taken into consideration for his sentencing.

Rahiman and the 32-year-old victim have broken up since the incident.

Dragged by the hair, kicked in the face

In the afternoon of 29 July last year, Rahiman and victim visited the Rumours Beach Club on Sentosa to have drinks with their friends. Both became intoxicated during their time there.

At about 8pm, the couple got into an argument. Rahiman’s lawyer, Audrey Koo, told the court that the woman had gotten into a dispute and tried to hit the club’s bouncer. While trying to restrain her, Rahiman was punched by the woman and lost his temper.

Sometime before 9pm, Rahiman pulled the woman out of the club. They continued arguing along the footpath outside where Rahiman slapped and punched the victim, causing her to fall.

He shouted at her and then dragged her by her hair for about two metres along the footpath. He then dropped her, picked up one of her possessions that had dropped and chucked it at her head.

CCTV footage of the incident showed at least seven members of the public walked by during that time but none rendered assistance to the victim.

At around 9.01pm, Rahiman dragged the victim by her arm for a distance along the footpath, shouted at her, and then dragged her by her hair again along the road. He continued berating her while she clutched the side of her face with one hand.

Rahiman then kicked the woman in the face, causing her to fall onto her back. The woman was then seen rolling onto her knees and clutching the back of her head when Rahiman aimed a kick at her spine.

He stomped on the back of her head and kicked her again.

A witness, who was drinking nearby with friends during the incident, stepped in after hearing the commotion. The witness told his friend to call the police while he went to separate the couple.

Upon seeing the 20-year-old witness, Rahiman placed his right hand on the man’s chest to prevent him from getting involved. The witness then said he wanted to check on the victim and added that the police was on the way.

Rahiman replied “F*** the police” before throwing the victim’s possessions to the ground, where the victim lay moaning in pain. He then returned to the club.

The witness carried the woman to where his friends were. They gave her water and antiseptic wipes, and comforted her until the police and paramedics arrived. Rahiman returned to the scene shortly after and admitted to the offence to police officers. He said he had lost control of himself.

The victim was conveyed to hospital for treatment but she told paramedics that she did not need medical attention and just wanted to go home.

The next day, after realising the state of her injuries, she sought medical attention at another hospital. She was found with contusions on her face, arm and multiple abrasions.

During her subsequent medical appointments, she was diagnosed with vertigo and x-ray findings indicated a possible nose fracture. However, the woman did not turn up for her follow-up appointments.

“The victim later said that she felt traumatised that the accused, someone she loved, had done this to her,” said Deputy Public Prosecutor Kwang Jia Min.

Her medical bills came up to S$184.70 and Rahiman was ordered to pay the sum as compensation.

Altercation with cabby

In a separate incident on 23 November last year, Rahiman was working as a Grab delivery driver when he got into an altercation with a taxi driver.

He disembarked from his motorcycle next to a taxi stand at Chinatown Point after the taxi driver honked at him. Confronting the cabby, Rahiman said, “You stupid or what?” and challenged the 58-year-old to a fight.

Rahiman also hit the top of the taxi and pushed the taxi driver’s hands as the latter tried to take a photograph of his license plate number.

The cabby dropped his mobile phone as a result, causing the device to crack. Rahiman then swept the victim’s mobile phone away with his foot. He also threatened the cabby and said, “ Don’t let me see you in the market”.

Rahiman made voluntary restitution of $350 for the victim to buy a new mobile phone.

DPP Kwang said that Rahiman's attack on his former girlfriend was "protracted and persisted" despite members of the public looking on. He had also tried to dissuade the witness from intervening.

The victim was vulnerable as she was intoxicated and incapable of defending herself.

In mitigation, Koo sought a jail term of six weeks and highlighted the incident that occurred in the club before the violence. Koo said that her client was not a violent man and was law-abiding.

Sentencing Rahiman, District Judge Tan Jen Tse said he was unable to place any weight on what occurred in the club as "it was clear that (Rahiman) had sufficient time to cool down but (had) continued the assault on the victim".

For voluntarily causing hurt, Rahiman could have been jailed up to three years, fined up to $5,000, or both. For using criminal force, he could have been jailed up to three months, fined up to $1,500, or both.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at

Other Singapore stories

Cop's wife who abused maid to death jailed 30 years, in 'one of the worst culpable homicides'

Singapore PR, 44, dies from COVID-19; case had diabetes history

Man, 56, jailed 4.5 years for incest with adult daughter after release from prison