Man who recorded video of his friend allegedly raping unconscious woman jailed, fined

Amir Hussain
·Senior Reporter
Singapore's State Courts. (Yahoo News Singapore file photo)
Singapore's State Courts. (Yahoo News Singapore file photo)

SINGAPORE — A nightclub cashier who recorded a video of two friends sexually assaulting an unconscious woman at a chalet was on Tuesday (13 August) jailed for one year and three months.

Gan Soon Chai, 34, was also fined $20,800 in the State Courts.

The Malaysian national pleaded guilty to three charges - making an obscene video, having 65 other obscene films, and having eight films without certification from the Board of Film Censors.

Picked up unconscious victim

Gan worked at Club V5 Tycoon at Ming Arcade in Cuscaden Road. On 16 September last year, he stayed at D’Resort @ Downtown East, a chalet in Pasir Ris, with six friends.

They included Singaporeans Yong Chun Hong, 30, Yeo We Chieng, 40, and Tay Boon Huat, 27. Yong also worked as a manager/bouncer at Club V5.

After midnight on 17 September, Gan, Yong, Yeo and Tay went to Club V5 in Yeo’s car. Gan and Yong went to work, while Yeo and Tay drank and waited for them to end work.

At about 7am, after Gan and Yong ended work, the group went to pick up Yap Chun Chieh, 39, at Forum The Shopping Mall in Orchard Road. Yap, a Singaporean who also worked as a manager/bouncer at Club V5, was with the victim.

Yong pulled the victim by her arm and brought her into the car. Yeo then drove them all to the chalet. Tay sat in the front passenger seat. The victim was unconscious throughout the journey.

“While travelling to the chalet, Tay stretched his hand to the back and pulled down the victim’s top before touching her breasts,” said Deputy Public Prosecutor Lee Zu Zhao.

Yap, who was seated in the middle rear passenger seat while hugging the victim on his lap, joined in and allegedly touched the victim’s breasts. “Following that, Yong also reached over and squeezed and fondled her breast,” added the prosecutor.

Accused’s friends allegedly raped victim

At about 7.30am at the chalet, Yap helped the victim onto a bed. Tay then allegedly touched the victim and took off her top and bra. Yong also purportedly touched the victim.

Yap then allegedly took off his own clothes as well as the victim’s bottoms and panties, before he purportedly raped her while she remained unconscious and unresponsive.

Meanwhile, Tay pulled down his pants and then lay down near the victim’s head. He then allegedly used her hand to stroke him before putting his penis into her mouth.

Gan, who was lying on another bed, watched what was happening. Unbeknown to Yap and Tay, Gan recorded a video of the rape and sexual assault using his mobile phone.

After about three minutes of recording, Tay noticed what Gan was doing and told him to stop. Gan complied. Yap and Tay stopped their sexual assault shortly after.

At the time of the sexual assault, Yeo was sleeping on another bed.

Later, Tay tried to delete Gan’s recording. Unbeknownst to the duo at the time, the recording remained on the phone.

At about 9am, Yap got dressed and helped the victim to change before sending her home in a taxi. Gan and the rest remained at the chalet.

The victim later reported the rape to the police. Gan was arrested on 26 September last year.

The video of the sexual assault he recorded was extracted from his phone. Eight other videos without a valid certificate were also found, as were 65 obscene films.

For making an obscene film, Gan could have been jailed for up to two years and also fined up to $40,000.

The cases for Yap, Tay and Yong are pending.

Other Singapore stories:

Ex-police NSF jailed two years for sex crimes against minors, taking upskirt photos

School term for 2020 to start on 2 January and end on 20 November

Early closures, late openings for selected MRT stations in August and September

Football Watch: Maximum efforts for top clubs as new season gets underway

HSA issues warning over 'Skinny Lolita' and 'Xtreme Candy' health products