SINGAPORE — No Singaporeans are reported to be affected by the cataclysmic explosion at a port in Beirut, which has killed more than 100 and wounded thousands.
The Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in a press statement on Wednesday (5 August) said it has reached out to the Singaporeans in Lebanon who are e-registered with them and “ascertained their safety”.
“There have been no reports of Singaporeans affected by the blast in Beirut. Singaporeans who require consular assistance can contact the MFA Duty Office (24 hours) at +65 6379 8800/+65 6379 8855 or firstname.lastname@example.org,” it added.
“The Singapore government is saddened by the tragic loss of lives in the explosion in Beirut, Lebanon on 4 August,” the statement said.
“Our condolences go out to the families of the victims and the people of Lebanon during this difficult time.”
The blast appeared to have been caused by a fire igniting 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilisers and bombs, which had been stored in a warehouse at the port for six years without safety measures.
The resulting footage – widely shared on social media – showed a ball of fire and smoke rising above Beirut and a white shockwave engulfing everything around it.
Seismologists said the mushroom-shaped explosion was logged as the equivalent of a 3.3 magnitude quake and was felt as far away as Cyprus, some 240 kilometres to the northwest.
The US embassy in Beirut warned residents in the city about reports of toxic gases released by the blast, urging people to stay indoors and wear masks if available.
Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore
Other Singapore stories: