Mother and daughter found dead in Sengkang

A 35-year-old woman and her 8-year-old daughter were found dead at a HDB block in Sengkang on Tuesday morning, according to the Straits Times.

[Update on Thursday, 20 January, 3.55pm: Police have confirmed the deaths]

A 35-year-old woman and her 8-year-old daughter were found dead at a HDB block in Sengkang on Tuesday morning.

Police said they received a call at 5.45am on Tuesday morning. When they arrived at the scene, the woman was found lying motionless at the foot of Block 299A Compassvale Street in Sengkang. The girl’s body was found  in a unit at the same block, police said.
Police also said that both the woman and her daughter were pronounced dead on the scene by paramedics.
Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanabo reported that the girl's body was found on a bed, in a second-floor unit.

The family’s next-door neighbour told the Chinese newspaper that she had not heard any noises before the incident. “I suddenly heard a loud noise and ran out to see what happened, and saw her (the deceased) at the bottom of the block," she said.
Another daughter, a three-year-old, started vomiting at around 9am, Wanbao reported. She was sent to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital. Her condition is now stable.
Media reports said that the woman’s husband had just returned from a trip to India that morning. It is believed that he was the one who made the police call. The family of four are Indian nationals and are Singapore permanent residents.
Lianhe Wanbao also reported that neighbours said the woman had moved in with her husband and children last October, but seldom interacted with other residents.
According to reports, there was no weapon found in the flat and there were no external injuries on the 8-year-old’s body.

Police said they have classified the case as “unnatural deaths” and are conducting investigations.

Related stories:
Singapore teacher jailed for "love bites" on boy
Singapore’s crime rate falls to 30-year low
LIttle India riot COI: 'Higher incidents of drunken behaviour on ferry buses prior to Little India riot'