Orchard Towers murder case: Natalie Siow faces reduced charge of causing hurt

Amir Hussain
Senior Reporter
Natalie Siow Yu Zhen, 23, now faces a charge of causing hurt. (Photo: Facebook / Natalie Siow)

SINGAPORE — A woman who was accused of murdering a 31-year-old man after a fight at Orchard Towers on 2 July had her charge reduced to causing hurt at the State Courts on Friday (18 October).

Natalie Siow Yu Zhen, 23, was arrested along with seven men in the aftermath of altercation. Siow and six of the men were later charged with the murder of Satheesh Noel Gobidass.

Subsequently, three of the men had their capital charges replaced with consorting with a wanted man, co-accused Tan Sen Yang, 28, who had in his possession a foldable curved knife.

Siow is now accused of punching and kicking Satheesh at the ground floor of Orchard Towers.

Her case will be mentioned again next Friday. She faces up to two years’ jail and a fine of up to $5,000 if found guilty.

Eight people were arrested for the murder of a 31-year-old man at Orchard Towers on 2 July, 2019. (Screencaps of CCTV footage, social media)

Altercation footage viewed widely

The altercation at Orchard Towers in the early hours of 2 July was captured by cameras and widely viewed online.

Video footage showed Satheesh fighting with some individuals before stumbling to the building's entrance and collapsing there. He was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital but died at about 7.25am.

The trio facing the consorting charges are Tan Hong Sheng, 22, Chan Jia Xing, 26, and Loo Boon Chong, 25.

They each face at least six strokes of the cane and up to three years' jail if convicted of their charges.

The remaining three men who still face murder charges are Tan Sen Yang, Joel Tan Yun Sheng, 26, and Ang Da Yuan, 26. They face the death penalty, if convicted.

Related stories:

Man who absconded Orchard Towers murder hearing re-arrested, faces fresh rioting charge

Orchard Towers death: Three suspects have murder charges withdrawn

Orchard Towers assault: 7 charged with murder of 31-year-old man

8 men, women arrested for murder after man collapsed at Orchard Towers and died