Trial of trio accused in 2014 gang rape commences

The three accused who allegedly participated in the incident two years ago, were in the High Court on Tuesday for their hearing. (Photo: Safhras Khan/Yahoo Singapore) 

The joint-trial of three men accused of participating in a gang rape in January 2014 commenced on Tuesday (2 August) at Singapore’s High Court.

Ridhaudin Ridhwan Bakri, Muhammad Faris Ramlee and Asep Ardiansyah — all 22 years old — are claiming trial to the offences they allegedly committed on 26 January 2014 at the Duxton Hotel.

The trio were part of a gang of five accused of rape and other sexual offences on the victim.

Two of the five, Muhammad Fadly Abdull Wahab and Muhammad Hazly Mohamad Halimi, had pleaded guilty to rape on Friday (29 July).

Fadly, 20, was sentenced to 13 years in jail and eight strokes of the cane, while Hazly faces 11 years in jail and six strokes of the cane for their offences.

The victim, whose identity could not be revealed, took the stand behind closed doors on Tuesday.

Ridhaudin faces one charge of rape, one charge of using criminal force to outrage the modesty of his victim and another charge of sexual assault by penetration.

Faris is facing one charge of rape and one charge of sexual assault by penetration, while Asep faces one charge of attempted rape and another sexual assault by penetration charge.

Victim was intoxicated and unconscious

Court papers revealed that Fadly and Hazly took turns to rape the victim, who was intoxicated and unconscious when the incident happened at about 2:30 am on 26 January 2014 at the hotel room.

The victim was 18 years old at the time. 

The victim was then left unconscious on the bed. Asep returned to the room at about 3:44 am, followed by Ridhaudin and Faris who came back some 10 minutes later.

Court papers also revealed that Faris and Asep helped the victim to the bathroom as she was retching. Asep then left, leaving Faris the bathroom where he allegedly raped her.

Asep returned 20 minutes later where he allegedly sexually assaulted and attempted to rape the victim.

According to court papers, the victim then found herself back on the bed, though it was not revealed how she ended up back there.

While in bed the victim claims she felt Ridhaudin trying to penetrate her from the back.

Although she shook her head from left to right to show she did not consent to this, she was too weak to fight Ridhaudin’s advances.

Ridhaudin continued to assault and rape her, court documents show.

The trial, scheduled until 19 August, will resume on Wednesday (3 August).