By KK Tong (guest contributor)
Most new property launches in Singapore today are leasehold projects. There are not many developments which are freehold, so when Oxley Holdings launched The Verandah Residences in early April 2018, it was not surprising that 129 units out of the 170-unit freehold project were sold on the first weekend. The 1-bedroom and 2- bedroom units were all snapped up that weekend. Located at Pasir Panjang Road, the average selling price was $1,815 psf.
The Verandah Residences sits on a site area of 89,620 sq ft, and TOP is expected to be in December 2023.
The unit types are:
The development consists of 167 units spread out over four 5-storey blocks, and 3 strata houses.
There are a total of 170 parking lots and 3 handicapped lots. The main entrance is on Pasir Panjang Road.
Figure 1: Site Plan
Facilities at The Verandah Residences include a swimming pool, an aqua gym, a gymnasium, a sky lounge, and a function room.
Thoughts from Show Flat Visit
Figure 2: Floor Plan of Type D2 (4 Bedroom)
The small foyer at the entrance leads to the wet kitchen on the left. Beyond the kitchen is the living/dining/balcony areas. The 4 bedrooms are located just after the living/dining area. Space utilisation is rather decent.
Figure 3: Kitchen
The kitchen is a decent size with sufficient worktop space. Storage is pretty generous as well. It comes equipped with a Bosch oven, and the refrigerator and washer are from Electrolux.
Figure 4: Living/Dining Area
The furniture arrangement in the show flat has the living and dining areas combined with a long seating area. Hence, this makes the whole area look very spacious and airy.
Figure 5: Balcony
Personally, I love balconies, and this balcony is huge and can easily fit a dining table, if so desired. The black and white roller blinds, which provide shade on hot days, are provided by the developer. Additionally, permission has been obtained from URA for buyers to install balcony screens if they wish to do so. These screens have to be of an approved design, and the cost of installation will be borne by the buyers.
Figure 6: Master Bedroom
Although the size of the master bedroom is not exactly big, it is an acceptable size where you can place two side tables and a small dresser in the corner. It also comes with a Juliet balcony, and the full-length windows open outwards.
The 4- bedroom unit comes with a Junior Master Bedroom with its own en suite. The size of the other two bedrooms are fairly standard.
Figure 7: Area Map
Amenities around the area
The Verandah Residences, located in the locale of Pasir Panjang, is set amidst an enclave of low-rise private housing. Facilities and amenities are reasonably near.
The nearest shopping mall is Alexandra Retail Centre, which houses an NTUC outlet and some cafes and restaurants. From Haw Par Villa MRT Station, The Star Vista is only 3 MRT stations away while Vivocity is 4 MRT stations away. For a quick meal, Pasir Panjang Food Centre is nearby.
Nature Lovers will definitely feel at home in this area. West Coast Park, Kent Ridge Park, and Hort Park are all within this vicinity. A little further, you can enjoy a walk at Henderson Waves which is linked to Mount Faber.
Education facilities a short drive away include Nan Hua High School, Fairfield Methodist Primary and Secondary Schools, ACS Independent, and the NUS High School of Maths and Science. Tertiary institutions comprise the National University of Singapore and the United World College of SEA.
For medical facilities, both the National University Hospital and Alexandra Hospital is a short drive away.
In terms of transport accessibility, driving to other parts of the island is via the West Coast Highway linking to the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE). The nearest MRT Station is Haw Par Villa, about 470 metres away.
There is a bus stop just outside along Pasir Panjang Road. Bus services run to Bedok, Tampines, Hougang, Jurong East, HarbourFront and Kent Ridge.
Positive Aspects of the Development
- The condominium is in a private low-rise housing enclave, which is less built-up. It also ensures exclusivity.
- The container terminals of Singapore will be moved to Tuas, which is expected to open progressively from 2021. This will free up the waterfront at Pasir Panjang. This bodes well for buyers.
- Necessary facilities like supermarkets and schools are within reasonable driving distance.
- Haw Par Villa MRT Station is about a 10-minute walk.
- The project has 170 units, which is a comfortable size, not too large.
- The black and white colonial theme gives a unique vibe to the project.
- Units are a slightly-off North-South orientation, so these will not get too much afternoon sun.
The Not-so-good Aspects of the Development
- There are no primary or secondary schools within walking distance. School-going students will have to be driven by parents, or rely on school buses or public transport.
- The nearest shopping mall is Viva Vista which houses a small minimart. Otherwise, you need to drive to the bigger shopping malls with full conveniences.
- One side of the development faces the West Coast Highway, which is highly utilised by big vehicles. The noise generated will be considerable.
- Materials and fittings are ordinary.
Some Thoughts on Units
- Stacks 20 and 19 are closest to the West Coast Highway, so these two stacks will have to bear heavy traffic noise. Stack #19 is also closest to the kids’ pool.
- Stack #16 is next to the bin centre and electrical substation.
- Stack #4 is closest to the genset.
- Stacks #20, #21, #22, #23 and #24 will get some afternoon sun.
- Pool facing blocks are quite close.
- If I had to choose, I would prefer Stack #18 facing the lap pool.
Figure 8: Location of The Verandah Residences and Surrounding Areas
We will compare The Verandah Residences with 24 One Residences and The Maylea.
24 One Residences is a 24-unit freehold project due to be completed in 2020. The Maylea is a 88-unit freehold development completed in 2008.
Price Comparison Table (2 bedrooms)
Price Comparison Table (3 bedrooms)
Prices for The Verandah Residences
For the 2-bedroom units, the sizes are bigger for The Maylea, while the other two developments are quite a bit smaller. Likewise in price, The Verandah Residences and 24 One Residences are pretty comparable. On the contrary, prices for The Maylea are lower by more than $400 psf comparatively. Units at The Maylea are also bigger, equating to better liveability. Since all 3 developments are freehold, I will plump for The Maylea even though it is an older development.
For the 3-bedroom units, I will rule out 24 One Residences as the unit sizes are too small for my liking. I will probably choose The Maylea for the 3-bedroom units as the PSF price of The Verandah Residences are higher by a hefty $500+! Moreover, its unit size is also more comfortable.
Posted courtesy of www.Propwise.sg, a Singapore property blog dedicated to helping you understand the real estate market and make better decisions. Click here to get your free Property Beginner’s and Buyer’s Guide.