Orchard Towers death: Loo Boon Chong admits to dumping alleged killer's stained shirt

Wan Ting Koh
·Senior Reporter
·3-min read
Eight people were arrested for the murder of a 31-year-old man at Orchard Towers on 2 July, 2019. (Screencaps of CCTV footage, social media)
Eight people were arrested for the murder of a 31-year-old man at Orchard Towers on 2 July, 2019. (Screencaps of CCTV footage, social media)

SINGAPORE — A man who was involved in a fatal incident at Orchard Towers last year pleaded guilty on Monday (14 December) to the charge of discarding a blood-stained white t-shirt belonging to the alleged killer.

Along with six others, Loo Boon Chong had initially been charged with the murder with common intention of 31-year-old Satheesh Noel Gobidass at the entrance of Orchard Towers on 2 July last year. About a week later, Loo’s charge was downgraded to consorting with co-accused Tan Sen Yang, who was carrying a Kerambit knife in a public place.

Of the seven charged, only Tan Sen Yang still faces the charge of murder. Four others - Joel Tan Yun Sheng, Ang Da Yuan, Natalie Siow, and Chan Jia Xing - have been dealt with. One other man, Tan Hong Sheng, had his case adjourned on Monday. He is set to plead guilty on 15 January.

Loo, a 27-year-old Singaporean, pleaded guilty to a charge of intentionally obstructing the course of justice by discarding a blood-stained white t-shirt belonging to Tan Sen Yang. The shirt was evidence relevant to the investigations to the alleged offence committed by Tan.

The charge of consorting with Tan, who had an offensive weapon in his possession, between 6.21am and 1pm at Boon Lay Place Market and Food Village will be taken into consideration for sentencing, which is expected to occur on 15 January next year.

Separately, Loo also pleaded guilty to an unrelated charge of gambling in public on 18 February this year.

On 2 July last year, Loo went drinking with some friends at a few clubs in the Orchard area. He ended up at the Naughty Girl Club in Orchard Towers with Tan, whom he knew as “Ah Boy”, after 5am.

Loo had known Tan for some three years before the incident. He was aware that Tan had some issues with the police, although he did not know specific details.

While at the club, a dispute arose between Loo’s group of friends and another group of patrons. Loo saw that Tan was armed with a Kerambit knife in his right hand and had pointed it at the group of patrons.

In the ensuing dispute, two individuals were injured by Tan at the club entrance despite Loo’s attempt to stop the fight.

After someone shouted “police”, Loo took a lift to the ground floor of Orchard Towers to leave the place with his group, including Tan.

At the ground floor, the group encountered Satheesh, who confronted one member of Loo’s group over the earlier dispute.

Some other members of the group attacked Satheesh, and Tan allegedly inflicted a fatal injury on Satheesh’s head and neck area. Loo was not part of the attack.

The group then left the area. Loo knew that Satheesh had been critically injured and saw him collapsing at the entrance of the building.

Satheesh succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead on 2 July at about 7.25am. He died from a stab wound to his neck.

Loo and several others, including Tan, went to Boon Lay Market. Tan then went to Loo’s house to take a shower. Loo gave Tan a clean shirt, $50 for transport, and a pair of slippers. After Tan left, Loo walked around his flat to check that Tan had not left behind the knife. He threw Tan’s soiled shirt down the common rubbish chute where it was never recovered.

Loo later surrendered himself at Police Cantonment Complex after being informed that the incident was classified as a murder case.

For obstructing the course of justice, Loo may be jailed up to seven years, fined, or both. For gambling in public, he may be jailed up to six months and/or fined up to $5,000.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

Related stories

Orchard Towers death: Chan Jia Xing given conditional warning

Orchard Towers death: Natalie Siow gets 5 months' jail

Orchard Towers death: Natalie Siow claims trial to one charge

Orchard Towers murder case: Duo get charges reduced to assault

Orchard Towers murder case: Natalie Siow faces 2 new charges

Orchard Towers murder case: Natalie Siow faces reduced charge of causing hurt

Man who absconded Orchard Towers murder hearing re-arrested, faces fresh rioting charge

Orchard Towers death: Three suspects have murder charges withdrawn

Orchard Towers assault: 7 charged with murder of 31-year-old man

8 men, women arrested for murder after man collapsed at Orchard Towers and died